Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Wednesday Night 10.65-Mile Run in Bloomington, IN

I was headed to the gym one more night when I decided to stop being a wuss about the cold weather. I went downstairs and deemed that it might be a bit chilly to wear shorts. I went back upstairs to my second floor room, put on a pair of sweatpants and off I went.

As I got started, I felt great. I had no lingering effects from the almost 2-hour elliptical trainer workout that I did last night and was just easily stroking out the steps concentrating on oncoming traffic on 3rd St. here in Bloomington, Indiana as it heads east towards downtown.

Less than a mile and 9:24 into the run, major disaster nearly struck!

As I stepped to the side of the road to allow a truck to pass in a non-lit part of 3rd St. (at the top of the hill - Barbara will know where this is at), I planted my right foot right on top of where the asphalt ended and dropped off into gravel. I fell to the left (thank goodness!) and because I had socks on my hands (to stay warm), they kept my hands from getting torn up.

Of course, what is the first thing I do? You all are runners. You know what I did: I pulled my right sock off of my hand (which was covered in dirt) and stopped my watch! (I'm throbbing in pain, probably should have turned around and gone back to the hotel and I am worried about recording my time for this entry!)

More importantly, however, I was concerned about my ability to pace Waverly on Sunday. Which taxes my decision to let her practice tomorrow night and play basketball on her Upward Church team on Saturday. The selfish parent would say, "Hey, she's worked on this for four months and she can miss a game." However, she's part of a team. And having seen the interesting situations regarding select baseball, club volleyball and AAU basketball, I don't believe it is right for an individual to agree to be a part of a team and then put their personal interests above the team's.

After I walked it off for a few minutes, I figured that I would proceed east and continue the run. However, I could tell that it wasn't going to be as crisp as the first 9 minutes and 24 seconds were. (I also have a nice scab on my right knee that I can play show-and-tell with Lance Collins from an earlier collision he had with another runner during a pre-race warm-up.)

Here's the route that I took: http://www.harra.org/Route.asp?MapID=856

5.32 miles east along Kirkwood and 3rd St., through downtown, by the campus and all the way to Smith Road. I covered this in 59:48 - an 11:14/mile pace. (I was slowed by the fall and the fact that I haven't run those hills and inclines in about a month.)

These are always dry runs for me (which is OK when it's cold out) but they typically affect my performance a little bit. On the way back, I covered 5.33 miles in 1:05:50 (after a minute and seven second break) for a less than admirable pace of 12:21/mile.

Total miles = 10.65 over 2:05:38 for a pace of 11:48/mile. That would not be a pretty half marathon for me, especially after doing 2:20 in Huntsville and 2:21 at Motive Bison Stampede in Austin (in similar temperature conditions.)

I'm sore, but glad that I wasn't more seriously hurt (plus, interestingly enough, I had just put my Power In Motion Road ID tag back on my shoe).

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy Jon. That's a pretty busy section of 3rd Street too. At least you weren't too far from the hospital where you were! I was thinking about you earlier this week when you were talking about it being cold there.

You named my greatest fear - falling and twisting an ankle or other important part of my leg just before Sunday. Did you get any ice on it?

Funny thing about the shoe tag. I had one on in a race earlier this year and the woman taking off my chip asked why I was wearing a TOE tag!

I hope you're okay.

4:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home