Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Front and Center at the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run

When I opened up this morning's Houston Chronicle (Sunday, February 26th) and saw the picture below (from page A16 of the main section) of the start of the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run, I was able to easily identify 10 of the runners that I have notated (with their finishing position).

I've never seen David Wittman (of the Houston Harriers) nor Colin Wolfe (who lived here, but now is based out of Austin) before but certainly know that they are top-flight runners.

However two runners just weren't familiar at all to me.

Wearing bib #2455 (on the far right) turns out to be Duval Ruiz, a 40-year-old Houstonian that is the co-owner and running coach of In Flight Running, who finished 195th in 43:10.

Then there is an individual wearing bib #3916 that is front and center and has the charge on them all, including Wade, Armenteros, Rocha and Flores. So ... who is this "too clothed" man?
When you query the results database, it says that #3916 belongs to 37-year-old Houstonian Brad Batteau. Do a query on google.com? Nada. Nothing.

Can you imagine everyone else sizing him up or him telling Sean Wade at the start, "Look I've got a $100 down that I can get in the paper and then I'll get out of your way before we turn the first corner, OK?" Or maybe he was just trying to be one of the Rodeo "Run" clowns!

3 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

I saw that today. I was wondering who #3916 belongs to. Could he have been in the 5K?

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that picture and had the same thoughts but worse---simply everything about this guy is wrong.

--lines up at the start with Sean Wade, but clearly doesn't belong there. My bet is that he has eaten 20x the amount of chicken fried steak with cream gravy in the past 10 years as all the other frontrunners combined.

--expends 95% of his energy reserves in the first 500 yards, as evidenced by his unnatural kick (actually I don't see a kick at all in his stride--just overexertion) and his big-bear-is-chasing-me-large-arm-swing

--wears two layers of clothing including tights and a long sleeve underarmour top

--ignores the advice of others and decides a cotton t-shirt is the way to go for a top layer

--chooses nice accessories for his race, including a gold chain and a 70's era cotton sweatband for his head

I usually finish near the middle of the pack, but would never dream of being such a poser like this guy. It's just not fair to the guys up front who belong there and have to weave around him.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

oh geesh...this guy is a nutbar...and just plain wrong too!!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home