Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Seven Hills Running Club Group Run/Walk

Well, our president, Ken Johnson, officially labels the "Run In The Woods 3.5-Miler" non-competitive; however, I don't think anybody really took it as such (even though I didn't run as well as I had wished.) Ken told us our times as we finished but he didn't write them all down.

I could still feel that my quads were a little tender from the Blue Bell Fun Run 10K the day before in Brenham; however, it was more the fact that I had a late (and full) breakfast at about 11:45 a.m. before hitting the trails at 2 p.m. in Huntsville State Park.

I covered the 3.5 miles in a disappointing 37:28 or 10:42 per mile (especially when I did a 9:59/mile pace later that evening at Memorial Park - and did the tough Blue Bell course in under 10 minutes a mile -- just barely.)

I started off really fast and about 8 minutes into the run (with a little bit of a slight incline going out to the first turn), I fell behind Melissa Broussard and Jan Parks. For awhile Sara Seale and Marissa Padilla were in front of the two of them, but they soon opened up a gap on them. At some point Len Hill passed me and then they all opened up a margin that I could never close.

When I finally made it back in, I told Len, who Ken has asked to write something on me for the club newsletter, that his first question of our interview would be, "What distances do you like best, Jon?" and my answer would be, "half and full marathons!" I hate the short stuff! (Let me rephrase it: I tolerate it!)

To no one's surprise, Robert Duncan led the group of 10 runners followed by J.C. Guzman, Lindsey Tlustos and Rick Cook. Randy Welch, Sara, Marisa, Jan, Len and Melissa finished in order in front of me. John, Kathy and Colleen Cook all walked the course to make sure that all of the trail markings were picked up.

(Hans Jaegar and Christopher Wilson were in New Mexico running the Bataan Death March Memorial Marathon outside of Las Cruces at the White Sands Missile Range. Hans completed the race in 5:22:26. Chris completed it in 4:41:07 (80th of 1,792 finishers). The day before, I also saw club members Ray Alexander and Skipper Nethery at the Blue Bell Fun Run 10K.)

I've been a member of Seven Hills Running Club since the beginning of last year and I really enjoy spending time with members of the club (and will look forward to running Stu's Country Mile with the group on the 4th of July in Centerville.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Hey Zeus said...

Jon,
Small world, Mrs. DirtRunner is from Centerville but would never admit it. Owns cows and everything country.

7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home