Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Great Quote to Start May!

I saw a quote on page 14 (Letters) of this week's Sports Illustrated (with Vince Young on the cover). It was about something in an article on the late and former Pittsburgh Pirates outfielder Roberto Clemente (one of the greatest rightfielders ever to play the game) in the April 10th edition of the magazine.

The quote was: "If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on earth."

So true.

2 Comments:

Blogger elf said...

Ah, Clemente--great player, great man. My mom and dad grew up watching him play in Forbes Filled, er, Field. Clemente and Maz are still his all-time favorite players. I was born in da 'Burgh, but only lived there a year before we moved away. Still, my extended family is all there, and, thanks to my folks, I have always been a big Bucs fan (and, of course, a big Stiller, uh, Steeler fan). Here's hoping the "McClatchy sells the team to Mark Cuban" rumor comes true...

Erin

5:38 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I was born in Altoona and am from Tyrone. I was told that my first favorite Pirate was Matty Alou and that I cried when I learned that he was traded. (I looked it up a number of years ago. I was 3 at the time!)

I vaguely remember Clemente as I was about to turn 6 when his plane went down.

I still remember reading the book on Clemente and how Manny Sanguillen went out into the ocean for about a week diving to try to find Roberto's remains.

Re: Mark Cuban. He'd make things very interesting in Pittsburgh, but he said on Dan Patrick's show a week or two ago that "who wouldn't want to make $15-20 million easy, right now".

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home