Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Houston Marathon Results CD Arrives

I don't know whether it hit my mailbox on Friday or Saturday, but it got pulled out of it on Monday. I had a chance to go through it last night as well as just a few minutes ago this morning.

I'd like to think (and hope) that the Marathon was able to save a significant amount of money by embracing the digital revolution.

The only thing that was lost in the transition from paper to CD was the listing of the marathon winners. However, I've complained here before that they pay two (2) events -- the half marathon and the 5K -- official lip service by not listing their winners in any of their materials (unless it is in the media packet).

Bottom line is this: It's already researched for you, slap it on a web page and be done with it! At the most, it is an hour's worth of billable time for the person or company that maintains the web site.

Overall, I think the results CD was a very effective effort. I'd give it an A- for the first time out of the box!

I think the Marathon responded to what I'm sure wasn't only my criticism with a personalized results certificate. However, if the New York City Marathon or the Marine Corps Marathon is the standard, then an 8 1/2" by 11" certificate is the way to go. But the smaller version fit in with the packaging elements of getting the CD out. (I understand that and don't have a clue - at the moment - how you resolve that without ratcheting up cost.)

I'm glad to see that they resolved the language on the 17,779 number from "participated" to "registered". I think it is the most accurate reflection available and it is something that I've seen other marathons do -- most recently the St. Louis Marathon that is held in early April.

My only criticism is this: "Attribute the positive quotes (or testimonials) to the people that actually made them." There are quips that rotate at the bottom of the main screen mixed in with some factoids, but without crediting the person that said them. At the last two consulting firms that I worked at prior to the one that I am at now, we had specific procedures that we went through to procure testimonials and we found it to be more credible if there was an individual's name and organization attached to it.

Do I think that they are marketing schlock without them? Not for the most part, but consider this line from one of the rotating advertisements -- "I loved the personalized finisher certificates -- a really wonderful touch."

Well, hello, how can you love them (I double checked just to make sure that my 2005 cardboard certificate wasn't magically filled in) enough to get a quote in the results CD before you've even received the results CD?

4 Comments:

Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

: )

7:53 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

My first thought: I didn't know this was coming.

My second thought: It took them 4 months to get this out?

My final thought: Wish they'd just given me $5 off the fee instead of this CD.

I spent about 5 minutes looking at it, looked up my results, then the entire package (except the certificate) went unceremoniously to the trash can.

I guess I don't care enough to want a CD of results. But I can see how a guy like you would eat it up! :)

8:48 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Granted, some people don't care about a results book. Others do.

Perhaps Houston should follow the lead of other marathons and charge extra for it so it doesn't become a cost. (Personally I like the results book as opposed as the CD, but had an issue when the Marathon called themselves the most technologically advanced marathon when MCM had beaten them to the punch in '04.)

The Green Bay Marathon that David and Jaclyn had electronic mile splits. I think that beats every marathon!

I think the results CD for the Marine Corps Marathon in 2004 came in less than 8 weeks, but don't hold me to it.

I wasn't waiting on it (and yes I knew it was coming) because I had all of the results archived since the week after the marathon. :)

9:06 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Oh yeah -- the splits at every mile at the Green Bay race was most awesome!! :)

I think Houston does indeed overpromote. But then, so do a lot of other races.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home