Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, June 23, 2006

4th of July Racing

While I'm very, very tempted to head to Houston to do one of the local fourth of July events, I'm probably going to once again head north to Centerville and participate in Stu's Country Mile.

This is one of these races that you almost have to know somebody to know about it.

I know Ken Johnson, president of the Seven Hills Running Club, in Huntsville. That's how I first found out about it.

Ken warned me that it was a really a "5K and then some." I wouldn't know anything about whether or not my time was where I could gauge that, but a good friend of mine from The Woodlands (now relocated in Jacksonville, Florida), Tom McDonough, was sure of that assessment.

I e-mailed Ken the other day because the city of Centerville's web site said that it started at 7 a.m.; however, the pictures on the page with the other activities going on in downtown that day were from 2000. Ken said that he'd call the race director, Joe Langley.

Ken talked to Joe and confirmed that race time was still 8 a.m. (If you get there early enough, you get your pic of laminated bib numbers.)

"He said that they will have an improved T-shirt and better refreshments," said Johnson. "Darn, it may end up looking like a normal race. They have also moved the start/finish a short block east and around the corner."

The folks in Centerville are great people. It is as "hometown" as you can get and afterwards, the Seven Hills Running Club swamps one of the local eating establishments for breakfast!

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

This is a tempting run for me- maybe an off-the-beaten-path family event for the Smarts. Can you register the morning of the race?

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home