Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, June 19, 2006

HARRA Banquet Saturday Night

It's official! Three members of the Houston Running Bloggers -- yours truly, Erin Foley and Sarah Graybeal -- assumed positions on HARRA's 2006-2007 Board of Directors Saturday night at the 2006 Summer Banquet which was held at St. Arnold's Brewery.

Erin takes over the duties of Membership Director from Bill Crich while Sarah replaces Geoff Guenther as the HARRA webmaster and I'll take over VP of Communications and Footprints editor duties from Doug Spence.

It was a great night overall with Jeff Galloway as the featured speaker and HRBers were out in full force! Actually, it was the first time since the Houston Marathon and the Pasta Party that all of our officers were at the same function! Besides Waverly and myself, the following were also in attendance:

+ Vice president Edwin Quarles and his wife, Donna
+ Secretary Cassie Cowan and her fiance, Manny Mondragon
+ Treasurer Sarah Graybeal and her boyfriend, Jose Ruiz
+ Joe Carey and his wife, Gerlinde
+ Erin Foley and her husband, Matt, and their two kids ... Megan and Heather (I was listening and you could never forget them because of their beautiful white blonde hair ... some of which I actually had once!)
+ Bill Cox and his wife, Erin, and their daughter, Alison

Tom Stilwell passed the president's baton to Anna Sumrall Helm and the '06-'07 HARRA Board was announced as follows:

President - Anna Sumrall Helm
VP Clubs - Roger Boak
VP Road Race Management - Stephen Mayor
VP Communications & Editor of Footprints - Jon Walk
Secretary - Annie Hadow
Treasurer - Audrey Christiansen
Membership - Erin Foley
Webmaster - Sarah Graybeal
At Large - Cheryl Esposito
At Large - Jo Ann Luco
At Large - Sarah Troscher
At Large - Bob Linza
At Large - Bruce Mansur

I have to say that I'm very flattered to have the chance to serve in this capacity. Doug is a very good friend of mine and has been a great help in providing information in transition. I only hope that I can do as good of a job as Doug has done when he took over the role approximately a year and a half ago. He was voted on the Board and did so in support of former HARRA president Steve Shepard, who briefly served as editor while the position went vacant after becoming president. Footprints was officially resurrected as part of Inside Texas Running (ITR) in early 2004 during the presidency of John Phillips.

I get the opportunity to work with friends and fellow runners to put the best foot forward as it relates to Houston's road racing scene - including Lee Sheffer and Lance Phegley at ITR/RTN.

Two other HRBers, Edwin Quarles and Jessica Alexander, also members of Brazosport Area Road Runners Association (BARRA) and the Houston Striders), will be writing stories on a regular basis - or as time permits - for Footprints and I contacted HARRA Medical Director Dr. Bob Hoekman about making a regular contribution as well.

Doug shared with me a PDF draft of the July/August edition this evening (it looks awesome!)and there's already a game plan in place for the September edition.

I'm very excited about what lies ahead!

5 Comments:

Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Congrats on your the HARRA position! I know you'll do a great job!

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John,

Now that you are on the Board, do you think you could push for the HARRA website to be efficiently updated. That website has been a source of frustration for many long-time HARRA members. Thanks.

9:44 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Sarah is getting her feet wet rather quickly and posted today a "Pardon The Dust" message.

I've already sent her updates to be made to the "Race Calendar".

We'll get a chance to work together to keep it fresh and updated.

If you have any specific ideas, questions or concerns, Sarah's e-mail is webmaster@harra.org and mine is walksports@aol.com.

Please share with us what you wish to see on the site.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Anonymous,

My main goal as the new HARRA webmaster is just that -- to make it an effective and *current* source of information on running in Houston. I just took over a week ago, and it's going to take me a few more weeks to dig through all that is currently on the site and on the server and get things reorganized, but all HARRA members can expect some changes, hopefully for the better.

To second what Jon said, I encourage ANY HARRA (or non-HARRA!) members to email me directly if they have suggestions or items for the website. I may not always be able to make the changes within hours, but I plan to update the site at a minimum of once per week.

My inbox is always open! webmaster@harra.org

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats !!!!!

1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home