Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Heights Fun Run 5K Race Report

If you came to this event - the Heights Fun Run 5K - expecting a published official time, I hope you either finished in the top three (3) of your age group or brought your watch! That might be the only negative. For me, it isn't an issue as I always track my time.

Speaking of times, my "chip time" was 30:02.34 and "gun time" was 30:28.49. Normally, I'd be beating myself up over this, but I'm OK with it (for the moment) and realize that it isn't where I want to be at the end of the summer. It is acceptable, however, after dealing with my IT band issue and working to overcome my mileage and consistency issues.

Last year at this time, I was bouncing back from an achilles problem in my left leg that barely left me able to complete a 5K for a number of weeks. I went from doing a 29:43 in the Tie One On For Charity 5K on Thursday and a 29:32 at Run The Woodlands 5K two (2) days later to a string of 8 consecutive summer 5Ks of 30 minutes or better.

The splits were as follows: 9:19.89, 9:46.68, 10:01.37 and 54.40 = 30:02.34

I didn't feel though as if I got off too fast in the first mile although I spent the first three-tenths of a mile dodging people and running up in the median. I started close to fellow blogger Bob Entwhistle (who PR'd today!) and Chris Murphy, a friend of mine from the Striders who was running her first race since the Freescale Austin Marathon.

I held my pace (which included getting water at the first water stop even though I felt I was well hydrated against the humidity of the morning) from the 1st mile marker to the turnaround point, which was .55 miles that I hit in 5:12.88 (9:29/pace).

However, it was the next .45 mile and mile 3 that got the better of me on this day.

The .45 miles to the mile 2 marker was a 10:08/pace (4:33.80) while mile 3 was 10:01.37. I was just trying to run comfortably and at an even pace to try and be able to save a little for the end. The 54.40 seconds in the last tenth of a mile indicates a 9:00/pace, which I need to be getting this consistently into where this calculates to an 8:45/8:50.

Bottom line is that it was a little bit better than what I thought it was going to be after Thursday's run here in the subdivision.

The HRB Report -- (This will basically augment Lance Collins' race report as far as people, places and things are concerned. Kudos to Lance for posting an 18:29 which continues his downward time trend after recovering from an earlier hip problem.)

Erin Foley, who I met in person for the first time today, ran really, really well and cranked out a 19-something (like Lance I didn't remember the exact time) -- and she was concerned about racing four (4) straight weekends. Pfft! I'm teasing obviously as Erin is as humble about her running in person as she is in her blog! [However, I am on the look out for a Penn State visor for Erin and Joe Carey after the Nittany Lions win this fall over the Fighting Irish.]

Our good friend Bob Entwhistle pointed out and introduced me to our newest Houston Running Blogger, Christy Gonzales, before the start of the race. It was also a pleasure to meet Christy and visit with her before and after the race. I asked her how she did and she responded, "Not a PR!, but better than last week at the Astros 5K".

And after seeing Lance and Erin when I got there this morning, it was a delight to see Vic Kaiser back out at a race. If my recollection serves me right, it is the first race that I've seen Vic at since he was pulling AED/CPR duty at the Houstonian Lite 30K.

Vic is just now getting back to running after being sidelined for quite some time with an ankle injury. I certainly hope races and Vic being at them - and yes, running them! - are more frequent occurrences in the weeks and months to come. If you can't walk away from talking with Vic without a smile on your face, you either haven't made the effort or you completely missed the essence of his great personality and friendship.

Elsewhere -- When I go to a race anymore, the question is usually, "Who didn't I see?" All that means is that I'm truly blessed to have a great number of my friends being runners!

Lance mentioned that one of his training partners of the "Greatwood Running Team" (my name, not something that they've given to themselves), Brian King, had a really nice day on the course as he posted an 18:22 and picked off a runner in the last tenth of a mile. (Both Brian and Lance finished third in their respective age group.) I held back from the Tie One On For Charity 5K race report that the third member of their training trio, Steve Schroeder, suffered a stress fracture and is still waiting for another 2-3 weeks before he begins running again. He was out in support today.

One guy who is just a great guy and really treats my daughter extremely well every time he has seen her since the Rockets Run 5K is Jake Tonge (BCRR) - and today was no different. It means a lot to me to people who take the time to respect and treat my daughter well. Granted, she's a good kid, but I feel honored as a parent when other folks treat her as they do me.

As Lance mentioned, John Yoder really had a nice day by running a 16:40 (Dave Wittman won it with a time of 16:11) and finishing third. Just before the mile 2 marker, John was running fourth. His sister, Pony Petersen, both Striders, ran as well.

Lisa Tilton-McCarthy and Heide Mairs won the overall women's and Masters for the women. I didn't catch the name of the Masters winner for the men.

I had the opportunity to visit with Tim and Karen Bowler, Joan O'Connor, my editor at Runner Triathlete News, Lance Phegley (and I met his wife Sherry) and I remember telling Leno Rios of the Tornados on the course "Thanks!" for sending the Beach to Bay Relay photos to send in with the HARRA Footprints article that will appear in Inside Texas Running in July/August.

I also saw, but didn't get a chance to say "Hello!" to, Ted Traynor (Striders) and Bonnie Jo Barron (Bayou City Road Runners).

Next up? The Sandcastle City Classic 10K in Surrey, British Columbia -- tomorrow morning at 11 a.m. Central time (9 a.m. Pacific)!

6 Comments:

Blogger Crosstrain said...

Jon, I will never wear a Penn State visor, even if you beat Erin in a 5k, which is about as likely as a PSU win this year in South Bend. Surely you have been in the South long enough to know not to mess with a man's college football!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You saw Vic at the pasta party in January!
OMG!

5:23 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Joe, you're saying that a Notre Dame win is a sure thing. Yes, Athlon has ND #2 to start the year, but JoePa is about ready to discover a new offense at the age of 80 to bluff Mr. Weis.

Keith, I did see Vic at the Pasta Party, but were we all racing to eat our spaghetti? :)

2:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, you said, 'first race.'
nevermind.

8:03 AM  
Blogger elf said...

Don't worry, Joe, I think I have some choice attire for Jon to sport after the Irish dismantle Penn St. in a few months. Jon, how do you look in green? Or, perhaps a nice gold visor?

Thanks as always for the kind words, Jon--it was great to meet you yesterday, too.

Erin

12:59 PM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

Jon!!!! i can't believe i missed this great race. glad you got to visit with everyone...tell everyone i said hi next time (seeing how i dont get out as much as you!)

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home