Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Tuesday Running, Riding and Music

Memorial Day was an emotionally challenging day in the metropolis of Spring as it sapped any desire to combat things with physical exercise. Yes, I was a little sore from Sunday's run with Dave; however, that was not what stopped me from getting out to get something done and in the books.

On Tuesday, I logged three (3) easy miles with Waverly in Huntsville on the Veterans Highway route. (I started to call it a course, but it is just a sidewalk along a long and open off-the-beaten path road just west of Interstate 45.) The subsequent plan was to get a bite to eat at Sonic and play some volleyball with other Seven Hills Running Club members; however, some on the course developments required a change of plans and a return to Spring. I didn't get the watch started right as we started; however, I had 36:16.77 for a good bit of the 3-mile run.

Waverly and I both have some ground to cover to get back to our most recent positive state of fitness. I followed up the running effort with approximately 20 miles on the stationery bike (55 minutes) at Bally's in The Woodlands. (Random setting, Level 7.) I probably pushed this workout a little bit too much, but I have to get ready for the Webster Bicycle Duathlon on Sunday, July 23rd where HRB members will go head-to-head.

I still haven't made a decision about whether or not I'm going to run the Heights 5K on Saturday. I'll probably still do the 10K that I have on the schedule for Sunday morning in Vancouver less than eight (8) hours after I fly in. Nonetheless, I will probably still be there at the Heights 5K as I have some other tasks to accomplish.

On a musical side note (as I usually try to keep this completely a running blog), I have to pull one out of my friend Cassie Cowan's bag and comment on three (3) CDs that I picked up Friday evening. They were as follows:

+ Jamey Johnson "The Dollar" (An excellent debut album that is anchored by his hit debut single, "The Dollar", but other keepers are "Flying Silver Eagle", "Ray Ray's Juke Joint" and "Rebelicious".)
+ Chris Cagle "Anywhere But Here" (Features "Miss Me Baby" and "Wal-Mart Parking Lot" but one song that is a lot like "Chicks Dig It", from an earlier album, is "Hey Ya'll")
+ Brad Paisley's "Time Well Wasted" (I haven't listened all the way through the 16-song CD; however, the first two songs are radio singles "Alcohol" and "The World" but there is a good song on there with Alan Jackson called "Out in the Parkin' Lot")

One album I can assure that I won't be buying is the Dixie Chicks' new release.

Waverly's birthday present from her mother and me? Floor seats for Tim McGraw and Faith Hill's Saturday, July 22nd performance at the Toyota Center. (Sarah, don't worry, I'll still be reading for the duathlon the next morning!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Jill said...

Floor seats to Tim and Faith!! You lucky man!!

Thank goodness I have several weeks to get ready for the duathlon. You guys are going to kick my booty in the run!

5:24 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

My sister has been a long-time member of Tim's fan club, has probably seen Tim perform in as many states as I have run half marathons in and knows most of the people close to him (on his band) on a first-name basis.

I need to get out though on the regular bike. Stationery bikes won't go real far in the duathlon!

Jon

10:10 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I got out the bike for the first time last weekend...gotta get ready!

11:31 AM  
Blogger PamB said...

Reading over your article on Running and music, I guess I can say I was shocked to see you say you would not be buying the Dixie Chicks new album! If this is some kind of a political statement you are trying to make, let me just remind you that you are amongst only 29% left in the USA who approve of this President, and his Illegal invasion into Iraq! You have 3 women who admit they are ashamed of this President, and you have this man who not only fixed evidence in order to invade an impotent country, but then taunted the insurgents to 'bring it on' (and 2500 deaths, and 16,000 injuries later, they sure did). He not only lied about the WMDs , he then joked about it at a Correspondent's dinner! He has never attended one funeral of the boys he is responsible for killing.
Well, sir, the Dixie Chicks are up to 526,000 other people who realize the truth and have purchased their album, so they will live without your purchase.

In the meantime, the days of defending this Neo-Con War monger are long over, and it merely makes you look bad on an otherwise cool site.

6:21 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Thanks for your comments - even though 1.) you refused to stick a real name to your post or anything associated on your profile and 2.) I'm familiar with all of the comments that you made.

And regarding the profile, it revealed no interest in running but more importantly that you're a contributor to a site whose post for yesterday is that the elections were stolen in 2000 and 2004.

I find it amazing that you can read completely into the intent of my comments. My comment is directed to the point that I disagreed with the timing and location of the comments when they were made - and that I simply choose then and choose now not to support them.

If you'd written me privately and shared your data with me, perhaps there might be some things that I agree with you. And perhaps not.

Although I don't agree with everything that Cindy Sheehan does or says, I respect her because she's willing to put her name out there on the line - and not hide behind a moniker, nickname, etc.

I'd be curious to know if of the 526,000, how many bought their first three CDs or are buying their music for the first time simply to support their position against the President?

In the end, if my decision is wrong, I have friends that forgive me for them - and still consider me as such for other reasons. And I forgive people for their views that I might not agree with, but still consider them friends whether or not they agree with my line of thinking.

7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home