Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Sunday -- Briefly Again!

It is almost 8 p.m. Pacific time and I'm headed in for a shower, a drive to the airport and a 11:30 p.m. red-eye flight home via Continental.

I was up at 3:45 a.m., out of the hotel by 5 a.m. and in Port Angeles, Washington for this morning's North Olympic Discovery Half Marathon. (I know everyone is thinking, "He's insane." Yes, a 12K yesterday and a half today.)

The best news to report, though, is that the IT band issue seems to be better now; however, I'm noticing a lot of tightness in my rear end. (Yes, some think of me as a pain there, but "Oh well!")

Have to wait for the official results to come out, but I believe that I clocked a 2:19:03.23!

Which for coming back from an injury, a tough 12K yesterday and a somewhat challenging 4-plus miles from between mile 3.5 and almost 8, I'm rather pleased with it. I'll post the splits and report that the half marathon mile markers were off. (A completely flat course and I probably could have been closer to 2:15, which isn't bad.)

The absolute best story of the day happened at one hour before the 9 a.m. start. I'm standing in the middle of a grass field at where the half marathoners are gathered (both the half and full marathoners were running a point-to-point race into Port Angeles) and somebody says, "Oh my goodness, Jon Walk, you're the last person I expected to see here!"

It was Becky Spaulding, who was in my Fall 2004 Power In Motion session, is a member of the Bayou City Road Runners and will be volunteering with us on the HARRA Just For Kids Fun Run in November.

I turned the "Leave No Blogger Behind!" into a "Leave No PIMster Behind!" and was rewarded with watching her set an approximately 5-minute PR on a tough course.

As I said, the mile markers were off (as one could attest that I'm not going to pull a 9:31 minute mile in mile 13 of a half):

Mile 1/2 -- 19:33.06
Mile 3 -- 10:31.75
Mile 4 -- 10:44.25
Mile 5 -- 11:02.28
Mile 6 -- 10:41.97 (1:03:48.81 - I did my best to keep that from bothering me.)
Mile 7 -- 11:37.06
Mile 8 -- 10:36.56
Mile 9 -- 9:56.41 (I think this was short and mile 10 was long)
Mile 10 -- 10:44.28
Mile 11 -- 11:13.72
Mile 12 -- 11:32.40
Mile 13 -- 9:31.52
Last .1 -- 1:17.97

Final -- 2:19:03.23

I'll comment more on Monday (yes, it was my 12th state to run a half marathon in!) and have the Run The Woodlands 5K #155 results online!

3 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

Nice goin' on the back-to-back races. It ain't no thang for you.

10:15 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Edwin, thanks. It was a little bit of a test on the IT band and I passed!

I just need to stay consistent with weekly mileage and a weekend long run or event.

While it was the 7th best of 26 half marathons, I know that I have better in me on a similarly tough course, such as the 3M Half (2:12:06).

I can't pin a date on it, but if I keep working - and don't allow myself any setbacks, I think I could see a 2:05 one day.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

be careful with that ITB.....I don't know how you keep doing the longer distances....do you have some sort of training plan in your head or do you just run whatever kind of schedule you feel like?? I always feel like if I don't have a schedule to stick to I won't be ready for the distance...I think that attitude is holding me back big time from doing more half distance races...

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home