Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

What's Going On?

Tonight in Vancouver, there is the big HSBC Celebration of Light fireworks!

It starts at 10 p.m. in what is known as English Bay. Fireworks from Italy are featured tonight and supposedly the Italians are the gold medalists in pyrotechnics. China is on Saturday night followed by the Czech Republic and Mexico next Wednesday and Sunday. (We'll be back up here on vacation so Waverly will get to see these!)

1.) Dr. Christopher Rampacek DNF'd at Badwater yesterday. I hope to get details from him via e-mail tomorrow. Chris was trying to become only the second Texan to complete four or more Badwater Ultramarathons. (Steven Silver of El Paso is the leading Texan with 6 Badwater finishes. Rampacek remains tied at 3 with Palestine Herald Press editor Paul Stone.)

As long as Chris is available, I've tentatively got him an opportunity to be a guest on Charlie Pallilo's sports talk show on 790 AM The Sports Animal next Monday afternoon. Richard Justice of The Chronicle may consider doing a column as well.

2.) Yes, I actually got back to trying to run outside of a race. Monday night (actually Tuesday morning) after a late dinner, I decided that I would walk some until I could run and it not upset my stomach. The times weren't sterling, but I ended up running some. I covered the 8.58-mile downtown route around Stanley Park. Just over 4.1 miles to the Lions Gate Bridge brisk walking in 1:04:01 and then 4.48 miles running from there in 51:15.44. I ran steady the entire time and only walked when I couldn't see where my feet were going to end up in the dark.

I'm working on my September Runner Triathlete News "Talking The Talk" column on the South Texas Walking Club. Their strength is youth race walking. (I think it's a very interesting story.) So I tried to give it a try! Now I'm sure with training it would be different, but I could never get my footstrike count over 128 in a minute.

3.) A long shot for the weekend? The Prude Ranch Races in Fort Davis, Texas on Sunday. It's a half marathon at 5,050 feet elevation. Vincent Attanucci of The Woodlands and his son, Michael, were considering doing this. They did so back in 2003. If you have a wild hair and are interested in going, let me know! (What makes this more odd? I land in Houston Saturday morning at about 6 a.m. off of a red-eye flight.)

4.) The September issue of HARRA's Footprints will feature 13 club reports! I'm in editing mode now and our own Edwin Quarles has delivered the lead story. (And we're already considering content for October! This is a lot of work, but fun! And my predecessor, Doug Spence, continues to be an excellent sounding board.)

5.) I'm trying to work out an opportunity the week of the 14th of August that I can do the following:

a.) Work from central Pennsylvania and visit my grandparents from Monday to Friday morning,
b.) Drive west and visit my good friend, Shane Brown, his wife and kids in this interesting town called Parkersburg, West Virginia where he has taken the head women's basketball coach's position at Ohio Valley College. (He was the former head women's coach at Westbury Christian HS, an assistant at Rice under Christy McKinney and the head coach at Houston Baptist for five years.) and then,
c.) Run the News and Sentinel Half Marathon in Parkersburg on Saturday with fellow HRBer Cassie Cowan.

6.) Mr. Dwyer, if you're seriously considering a slow 50k at Sunmart, I just may join you. It has been a goal of mine to cross into the ultramarathon threshold. Rick Cook tried to talk me into doing the 50-miler at Rocky Raccoon in February, but I decided against that and settled for the eventual marathon PR in Austin!

That's it for the moment!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

We will have about 10 TNT alumni doing Sunmart with "have fun and just finish" as the goal. We would love for you to join us for a 6-7 hour training run.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Jon- hope you make P-burg....I'm not feeling ready, but I don't actually care which totally shocks me! I just wanna go have some fun with my family. I might be pacing with my uncle- I think he did a 2:45 last year....

8:31 PM  
Blogger Hey Zeus said...

How about doing both Rocky and Austin.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home