Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Monday Morning: 4.83 in Federal Way, WA

If I'm ever going to get back to where I want and need to be, I have to get my act into motion. So while Gena was in getting her shower and Waverly was getting awake (close to 9 a.m. Pacific), I headed out for a short run. My plan was to go 25 minutes out and then come back.

Overall, basically try and keep it fairly easy.

I ended up just short of that (24:05.77) because there was a spot that I thought that I could pick up easily from the satellite image when I mapped it using HARRA's online tool. The numbers - and map - looked like this:

Out -- 2.403 miles / 24:05.77 / 10:02
Back -- 2.433 miles / 25:39.89 / 10:33
Overall -- 4.836 miles / 49:45.26 / 10:17

I didn't feel like I was really working that hard going out as there were some slight downhills and, of course, there were four (4) inclines on the way back accounting for the time difference. Although certainly not of huge signifigance was the sun in my face coming back as well.

I really need to find the issue with the tightness in my glutes because I feel like it is holding me back a little bit (let alone any weight).

Good run. I'll try to (bottom line is I really "have to") take advantage of it again tomorrow and Wednesday before we fly back to Houston on the red-eye Wednesday night.

August mileage: 11.036 miles (would like to be between 100 and 150)

Where to today? -- Space Needle and the Museum of Flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home