Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Run The Woodlands 5K #160

The damage this morning? 31:18.98!

I'm not worried. My weight is up a little bit. (I can feel it although no significant change in clothes). I hadn't run or worked out - other than approximately 2.5 miles of brisk walking a day in Vancouver - since last Saturday in Parkersburg, West Virginia. I ran the whole way in lower 80 degrees temperatures and high humidity without stopping to walk. Plus I carried on a conversation the entire way with Tim Vibrock and Rick Cook.

The splits ...

Mile 1 -- 9:40.10 (slower than usual)
Mile 2 -- 10:15.19 (ok)
Mile 3 -- 10:26.65 (didn't feel that slow)
Last .1 -- 57.04 (didn't feel that fast)

Nice crowd today. 69 runners. Rick ran to RTW, ran the event with me (even though his original plan was to do some speed work today) and then ran home. He's registered for the Arkansas Traveller 100 the first weekend of October.

The following 20-race club members ran the race today: Ann Leoni (95), Jeff Westergren (79), Jim Harrington (57), Jon Walk (41), Lloyd Swanson (37), Jim Braden (35), Vincent Attanucci (31), Leon Reiger (28), Danny Gilbreath (26), Mike Mendeck (24) and Tim Vibrock (24).

These 10-race club members added to their total today as well: Kim Driver (17), Rick Cook (15), Dave Smart (15), Carlos Ortegon (14), JoAnn Blakeley (13) and Kirk Norton (12).

One of the real interesting stories of the morning was running with Tim Vibrock. Nice guy! He had both of knees operated on late this spring (and had run NYC like I had this past November), but today became the 5th runner in RTW history to run a race in each of the seven (7) years -- 2000-2006. (But of the 7 races that he ran in the first year, he ran 22:45 in RTW #2!)

When I do a Run The Woodlands 5K, there are always people that I enjoy seeing. Many of those are listed above in the 10- and 20-Race Club, but it is good to see Mike Mendeck back out running again. His son, Gavin, who ran 22:17 and finished 13th overall, works with HRBer Sarah Graybeal at NASA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home