Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Tuesday Night Run

When I saw my friend Bill Dwyer at Run The Woodlands 5K Saturday morning, he told me about the Ten 4 Texas training group from Luke's Locker workout Tuesday night at Knox Middle School in Oak Ridge. I said that I might come out even though it might mean juggling the days on the schedule for this week - which is basically a repeat of last with a couple of more miles on the weekend long run.

Since it was a combined workout with Team Woodlands Team In Training, I had a chance to visit a little bit with TNT's Carol Steele and pro triathlete Kim Hager, who works with Bill and Debbie Tripp in working with the Ten 4 Texas group. (Carol is doing her first triathlon this Sunday at Try Andy's Tri!)

The workout called for 5 miles on the track getting progressively faster each mile.

Well ... with a half mile warmup, I logged 4.5 miles for the night followed by 30 minutes on the stationery bike at Bally's on the way home. (Maybe talking to Kim rubbed off on me a little bit!)

Bill wanted every one to hit the first mile in between 9:30 and 10 minutes.
And what did I go and do? 9:35.11. Nothing like hitting the front end of things.

I basically maintained it for mile 2 with a 9:40.24, but let it slide in the third mile to 10:01.68 before admitting that I wasn't ready to try and push through mile 4 and 5 at the same pace. Which is kind of nuts because I've done it before in races -- and this was a speed workout!

I threw in a last mile of 11:26.77 as a little cooldown (6:03.12/5:23.65) to have posted three miles in 29:16.92 and four in 40:43.69. (I've got some work to do as I ran 29:15 for 3.1 just two Saturdays ago, but it was a little cooler too.)

Here are the splits:

Mile 1 -- 2:20, 2:23, 2:26, 2:26
Mile 2 -- 2:27, 2:22, 2:24, 2:27
Mile 3 -- 2:32, 2:32, 2:28, 2:30

What you can't see in the numbers is that in the middle of mile 2, I caught a runner in front of me after Bill said, "That's Sharon if you catch up to her." Well, heck, I took it as kind of a challenge. When I caught up to her at the end of lap 7, it was kind of like waving a red flag at a bull. Coming out of the first turn, she poured it on. (She later said that she saw that she had been slowing down and decided to speed it up. Well, that she did.)

Through 2 miles, I was second and in the third mile, three of the TNT runners who are training for Houston in January passed me as they executed the entire 5-mile workout flawlessly. (Two of them had done RTW before so I knew what their times were and didn't feel bad at all.)

After the 3rd mile, I kind of mentally shut down. Chasing Sharon in laps 6 and 7 and then losing her in lap 8 kind of sucked the steam out of me.

Still a good workout overall, but plenty of work to do.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

It was a fun group last night. (York Middle School)

3:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fun, now join us on October 12 for the SMARTie Hop workout and your training will be complete.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Send me an 8 x 10 glossy of you doing a smartie hop, next to Vic. I'll even pay for postage.

I guess I should be happy that you wrote about a pathetic run. Let's try to run your race, rather than running to catch everyone else.

You'll know you're sucking bad gas, if I pass you at Ten for Texas. I'd hang it up at that point. JoePa will even deny your existence.


doug

3:51 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Doug,

8 x 10's of me in glossy or not are in rarified air these days as I've not been providing good picture material. (At the Fired Up 5K, I even sped up to try to get as close behind the runner in front of me so Lance and his wife couldn't get a good shot of me!)

Karen Thibodeaux though got a really good one of Waverly at the BENeeezy Purple Monkey 10K, but hey, Waverly always takes a good shot! ;)

Hey, you've been logging more miles than me so if you did get me at 10-4-TX, I wouldn't be surprised.

And I think I'm safe from having to do a marathon with JoePa since they won't even win the Pennsylvania championship this week.

Jon

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home