Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Rocky Raccoon 25K DNF's Me For Sunday

It was a bit of a disappointing morning in Huntsville's State Park, but I'm at a place with things right now that I'm not going to beat myself up over it. It is what it is. My body is not in the shape to be racing longer distances - even though those are the ones that I enjoy the most.

I had some thoughts about trying to take it easy with enough to leave my body in a position to complete the "Houston Quintuple", but it just isn't going to be. I had the alarm set for 4:45 p.m. to make a last-minute drive to Luke's Locker on West Gray. But with the temperatures inching up tomorrow morning and my body not feeling the best (although better than last Saturday after the Huntsville Half), I just decided to sit this one out.

As far as Huntsville went, I experienced double calf cramps somewhere around mile 6 and power walked much of it on in. I finished in 3:38:24 - a very far cry from last year's 3:02 (when I cramped up in the last 2.9 miles - from the last aid station), but I was determined not to take a "DNF".

Cassie Cowan did very well for doing her first trail race. I think she'd say that she found it a bit challenging, but finished with a respectable 3:04.

Rocky Raccoon 25K/50K race director Paul Stone - we have a mutual friend in former Palestine Herald Press sports editor Kevin Taylor - does a very good job with this event and Waverly got to help out at the start/finish line aid station and had a great time. Three clubs handle the aid stations at this event. They are the Hillcountry Trailrunners (nice people), the Seven Hills Running Club and the Tornados Running Club. We just weren't going to get there early enough or stay late enough for Waverly to work the Seven Hills aid station with Ken Johnson's wife, Marilyn, and John Cook's wife, Kathy - both who treat Waverly very well.

Seven Hills had a good contingent running the event, but I wasn't part of too much of the good!

In the 25k was Sara Seale, John Cook, Melissa Broussard, Jan Parks, Dr. Christopher Wilson, Ken Johnson and myself. In the 50k was Juan Melchor (who set a distance PR), Gerald Peters, Felix and Rick Cook. Rick was attempting this three weeks after going 85 at the Arkansas Traveller 100, came through the first loop in 2:34.

His report -- "Just before Amy's Crossing on the way back from the first aid station, I tore my right calf muscle. I waited until after the 7 Hills aid station to place my left heel lift in with my right and it helped enough to keep me moving. I should have walked more, but once it tears it's over. Then around the water only station (at mile 11.5), I had the back of my left knee flare up (AR100 injury) and it was all pain from there. I came home ate and took a two hour nap. It hurts to walk up and down the stairs. I feel about the same way I did a week after AT100."

He indicated that he may have to scratch Sunmart and Bandera to finally kill the 100-mile Raccoon in February.

I was there when Bayou City's Suzy Seeley finished as the women's winner of the 50K. (One thing that I noticed is that she immediately went to the massage table to get her legs worked on.)

It was good to see Pam Paling, Frank Halter, Lisa Ruthven and Jack Rubalcalva - friends from the Striders there. They'll be doing chip removal duties tomorrow at the Houston Half. Pam and Frank looked strong early in the 25k. Lisa is recovering from a cracked rip and she and Jack walked the entire course. Jack took his time and when he came in, passed the orange cones and the volunteer checked to see if his number got one of the finisher's items, he said, "I get an award?" It was funny!

The people report is incredible as always. I had people that said my name while I was running that I didn't know even who they were. It is kind of embarrassing at times, but incredibly amazing. Let's see if I forget anybody:

+ Andrew Perry was running second in the 25k. Perry finished 4th at Ten For Texas, works for Luke's in The Woodlands and used to run for Caney Creek HS. Really a nice kid!
+ Kirk Norton, an RTW regular who did his first trail run. Perry was running second early in the race while Norton was running fourth.
+ Russell Meyer of The Woodlands Running Club (and the Houston Harriers). Russell was running eighth early.
+ Met The Woodlands Running Club president Scott Campbell and his wife, Amy (who is a physical therapist).
+ Saw Vincent Aquirre with the Tornados when we went off the road at the Nature Center on to the trails. I said, "Nice job in Des Moines", but I don't think he either heard me or knew where the voice was coming from.
+ Saw Paul Brundage, a RTW regular. (Not sure he knows who I am.)
+ Talked to Fred Dwyer, a really nice guy who I met for the first time at the Webster Bicycle Duathlon in La Marque two summers ago. He told me not to worry about all of the fast folks when I got my bike out of the pickup truck - like a rookie! He said he was taking it easy today and racing hard tomorrow.
+ Saw and talked to Steve and Paula Boone of the 50 States Marathon Club. (Steve came in from the first loop, as they were doing the 50k, and told Waverly, "How are you? I haven't seen you in forever?") Want to do a fun marathon one time? Do theirs on the first of January!
+ Paula Robertson, creator of the "Love The Half" Texas Challenge. She's starting a new half marathon in May in Irving called the "Heels and Hills Half Marathon".
+ Susan Rouse of The Woodlands, who is participating in "Pick Lance's Time" contest walked up and introduced herself shortly after finishing the 50k. She asked if I was Jon Walk and I responded, "Am I trouble?" She laughed and said, "No," and added something to the effect of that's what happens when I put my picture on the Internet. :)

I'll see a lot of you tomorrow as I'll have tape recorder in tow - looking for stories for Footprints. To those who are running, do your best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home