Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

From PR to PW in under 9 months!

I wasn't ready for it. It wasn't on the plan. (Well, some of the miles were, but not all of them.)

But if you think that I drove all the way to Idaho to run a half, I've got some "Oceanfront Property" in Arizona to sell you. I thought that I could crank out fairly easy 12-minute miles, finish with a 5:12-5:13, but my lower back - which forced me to power walk up to mile 24 - wanted to have no part of that after about 12 miles.

Therefore, I finished the City of Trees Marathon in Boise, Idaho in a very, very unflattering 6:09:08! (Monday update -- Not that it make it any less painful, but the chip time was 6:08:53.)

I finished my 10th marathon - but, to me, only five of them count (those that I ran 20 or longer on - Marine Corps, Houston, Mardi Gras, Austin and Little Rock) - and completed one in my seventh state!

However, Houston - and everything else - could be in jeopardy. My back can't take this type of pounding anymore.

I'm not angry. Not upset. Not blaming the world. Things are what they are.

Was it cold? Well, it didn't get much warmer, if any, the whole race.

Did it rain? Not a downpour, but it rained the entire race.

Time to get a shower and hit the road!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
Hey, an official finish is an official finish.

Another state checked off.


doug

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who.....many years ago....dropped out of Grandma's marathon because he wasn't going to be under 3:10. We used to ask him over and over why he went all the way to MN to run 20 miles.

I agree with Doug.....a finish is a finish and check off another state.

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering that less than half a million Americans can even finish a marathon, I still think it's an incredible feat. It's all a matter of perspectives.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon,
I would appreciate, once you're up to it, a review of the race to someone curious if it would be a race to do because of the scenery, people, support, etc.

Does "Run Idaho" make you want to re-run it? Thanks.


doug

6:58 PM  
Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

I have to agree Jon, a finish is a finish! You continued despite the pain and that's a big accomplishment in itself.

6:55 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I lost about 5 minutes, at least, as I stood just shy of mile 20, in pain, and about 3 blocks away from where the finish line was and I seriously considered DNF'ing.

The person that I spoke to asked if I thought I was going to do permanent damage and at that time, I didn't know.

I got 2 Tylenol at about 20.5 at the top of a hill no less, and things kicked in at about 24 and I jogged most of the last 2.2 in.

Again, the lesson learned is that I really wasn't in the best position to do this ... but Idaho was just too close to pass up the attempt.

Jon

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, you needed a blogger there to "not leave you behind". Gutsy race. Heck, it took guts to even toe the line just because you were in a state. You finished. That is an accomplishment.

Vic

6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home