Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, November 10, 2006

Kim Hager's Ironman Florida Race Report

IRONMAN FLORIDA

“Each day of the journey is precious. We must strive to make it a masterpiece.” -John Wooden

Ironman Florida was my fourth race of the season. After having to pullout of two Ironman races earlier this year due to illnesses, I figured I would just be grateful to make it to the starting line healthy. After recovering from an illness I had at the beginning of September, I thankfully had a healthy, solid seven weeks of training leading up to Ironman Florida. The one goal I had for this race was to run a sub 3:30 marathon, but in order for me to accomplish this, I knew I had to manage my nutrition and race smart on the bike. I felt if I could accomplish this one goal for the season, I would be happy and could enter the off-season with some confidence that I was finally regaining my running form since knee surgery.

Since my husband and girls would be traveling with me, we decided to drive to Panama City Beach. As usual when traveling with family, the trip is never uneventful.

Mistake #1: We departed on Halloween day. Mind you, Halloween is a big ‘holiday’ for my 6-year old, Hanna.

After spending nearly two hours stuck in Baton Rouge traffic, my daughter began to cry and tug at my heart strings for ‘ruining her Halloween.’ For some reason, bribing her with offers of all the candy she wanted did not put a dent in her desire to go ‘trick-or-treating.’ Scrambling for ideas, my husband and I pulled off an exit and went on a hunt to find a place for her to ‘trick-or-treat.’ Dressed in her Supergirl costume and carrying a Starbucks paper bag to collect her goods, we took a break from driving and Hanna went ‘trick-or-treating.’ A delay? Yes, but the peace and quiet it brought to the vehicle was priceless.

The first day in Florida greeted us with typical weather conditions. There was some breeze along the waterway, but the temperatures were mild and the water was fairly calm with only a mild current. By the evening, there was talk of some wind-advisories for the next few days and (ugh) a cold front. Things got downright chilly the day before the race and many athletes were busy searching for arm-warmers and toe-booties at the Expo.

Race day arrived, and without a doubt, this was the coolest weather I have ever encountered in an Ironman. Typically I worry about staying hydrated, but for this race day, I was most concerned about staying warm. Thankfully the water temperature was fairly mild, at least with a wetsuit, and I could not wait to enter the water just to keep my feet warm. That thought was brief, as when I entered the water I found that the wind had stirred up the ocean quite a bit. The swells and chop were wild and it did not get any calmer the further we swam out. The pros started 10 minutes ahead of the remaining athletes and instead of fighting each other in the water, we found ourselves fighting the elements.

Ok, I admit, I thought it was a little fun at first, as it felt like I was on a roller-coaster, but the fun wore off fast. The swim is a two loop course and as I finished my first lap, I found myself pretty worn out. I realized I had expended too much energy during that first loop and reeled things back a bit (maybe too much) for the second loop of the swim.

I was so glad to exit the water but my elation was soon met with a cold slap of wind in the face and a long jog to transition. By the time I entered the change tent I could not feel my fingers or toes. I had made the decision to change out of my wet, cold clothes from the swim in an attempt to stay warm on the bike. However, trying to change into clothes with fingers that were not functioning was quite a task I was not prepared for, but thankfully the volunteers provided some much needed assistance. After a slow transition, I was off onto my 112 mile bike.

Earlier that morning the race officials told us that after we got out seven miles into the bike, that there was no wind. That was so wrong! The wind was very prominent and steady all day. My plan for the bike was to stay in a certain heart rate zone and I was very compliant. I had some stomach ache on the bike, but it never got real bad and I was able to stick closely to what I had planned for my nutrition … at least closer than I had in my previous races. I felt in control for the entire bike ride. I knew I was not going as fast as I had hoped, but for this race, the run was my focus and I kept that in my mind. Oddly enough the bike seemed to pass by relatively quickly and was basically painless (with the exception of my left ankle which had some strange pain). I was just glad to be out there racing, which is something I did not get to do much of this year.

As I came back into town I anxiously awaited for my favorite part of the day: the run.

At that time I did not care where my competition was, or what place I was in, I was only concerned about running my own race. I was glad to hand my bike off to another wonderful volunteer as I slowly hobbled to the transition tent. I wish I could say I had a quick change, but I had another slow transition that involved a trip to the porta-potty. I took this time to get my legs back, stretch the ankle that had been bothering me, and mentally prepare to embrace the run.

It is always fun to start the run because there are so many fans cheering (the bike can get a bit lonely) and the energy just moves you along …it is like the previous 112 miles on the bike just disappear from your body, even if it is for a brief, fleeting moment during that first mile. I was relieved to not have any side-stitch at the beginning of the run and I was able to get in a gel at the start. I was running with another guy for awhile who kept things nicely paced. We did not share any words but there is an indescribable comfort one has when pacing with another individual. For this run, I decided to try some Gatorade Endurance, which I typically only ingest during the bike. So, at each aid station, I grabbed some water and Gatorade Endurance, and I even sipped some cola on occasion, which really seemed to help soothe any stomach issues I felt coming on. My run was interesting, as I felt good and then I felt not-so-good for awhile, but I kept plugging away even when I felt like stopping, and eventually I would feel better again. This is far more enjoyable than the typical Ironman run I have where I feel good, then I feel bad, then I feel really bad, and things progress downward from there.

I felt real strong for the first eight miles, and then I fell into a little slump for a few miles. The gel I took at mile seven kicked in and I felt better again as I made the turn around for the second loop. My first lap was close to 1:37. When I hit this point, 13 miles, I realized that this was the furthest I had run in an Ironman and I was entering unchartered territory. I was on-pace for a run PR, and I only hoped to keep things going. I saw my husband and girls at the turnaround and blew them a kiss as I was off for another 13 miles. Miles fifteen through twenty were tough for me and I was definitely ‘uncomfortable’. I tell the athletes I help coach to be prepared to feel uncomfortable in their races, and now, that message was reverberating loudly in my head. With ten miles to go on the run, I was reminded of my friends back home that had recently completed the “10 For Texas” running race and all the hard work and effort they put into completing that race, and again, I was motivated to push through the discomfort. A well-placed and vocal Kevin Grogan, another Timex teammate, was cheering me on around mile 18, encouraging me to “race tough.” He was right, I had to stay tough and his words of encouragement were what I needed to hear. I wanted to make this run goal more than anything. I had made it this far and did not want to let it slip away from me. I tried to stay tough and just kept plugging away. I kept telling myself that my body and legs know what to do so just trust them. At the twenty mile mark I had this unexplained energy take over me and I knew I could do it. With 10k to go I picked my pace back up and felt strong again. At this point the only thing that hurt were my arms…of all things…but my legs felt so good. I savored the remaining miles and that glorious finish line.

What a wonderful opportunity it is to be able to participate in such an event and a big thank you to the awesome volunteers who make it possible for us athletes to race. I am truly fortunate to have such a supportive family, coach (Dana Lyons with Finish Strong Coaching) and wonderful sponsors such as Timex and Bike Lane of Houston. I am also blessed to have so many friends and fellow runners whom I have met over the past year (you know who you are). The well-wishes and words of encouragement I received truly motivated me while out on the course.

Happy Training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home