Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Reports of 300 to 400 at Run for Hans RTW 5K!

It is 6:15 a.m. in Vancouver, British Columbia and I just received a panic call from my wife at Run The Woodlands 5K #165. (I thought she and Waverly had been in a car accident or something. Thank God, no!)

She said, "We have 300 to 500 cards and we're trying to figure out how to make sure we get the results right!"

My recommendation, "Grab one of the clipboards, form a chute, keep them in a single file line and then just have them give you their name as they come in and match them up against the cards and the time!"

Those were just the number of runners - there was another wave of walkers to go after that - and she said that there were 10 people along the course to make sure folks that were new didn't go off the course!

They didn't get started until 8:15 a.m. because it took them that long to get the registrations done!

Wow ... an incredible and historic day at the $1 5K for a great cause! Way to go The Woodlands, Spring, far north Houston, Montgomery County and Huntsville runners!

And, darn, I'm here!

5 Comments:

Blogger elf said...

I couldn't make it out there today either, Jon. Glad to hear that so many others did, though.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting those results straightened out right may be the biggest challenge of your career, please especially let me what place Elvis and the running cow ended up at..

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredible day. I stopped by to drop our training groups donations and couldn't believe what I was seeing. Wait to you see the pictures. What a great community!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

That's incredible! Runners are awesome.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

wow that rules!!

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home