Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

College Football Bowl Game Picks

Each week on Monday, I'll make my picks for the entire week and see how things go:

Sunday, December 24 - Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu)
My prediction: Hawaii over Arizona State
Final score: Hawaii 41, Arizona State 24 (End the first week at 5-2. Hard to miss this one with Hawaii playing a home game against a coach that was on the way out.)

Saturday, December 23 - Armed Forces Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas)
My prediction: Tulsa over Utah
Final score: Utah 25, Tulsa 13 (So much for easy as I slip to 3-2)

Saturday, December 23 - PapaJohn's Bowl (Birmingham, Alabama)
My prediction: South Florida over East Carolina
Final score: South Florida 24, East Carolina 7 (Rise to 3-1, but these games are easy though.)

Saturday, December 23 - New Mexico Bowl (Albuquerque)
My prediction: San Jose State over New Mexico
Final score: San Jose State 20, New Mexico 12 (Bump up to 4-2. Nice win to beat UNM on their home field.)

Friday, December 22 - New Orleans Bowl
My prediction: Rice wins over Troy
Final score: Troy 41, Rice 17 (Ouch! Fall to 2-1 as Joel Armstrong does his best David Carr impersonation with 5 interceptions and 4 sacks)

Thursday, December 21 - Las Vegas Bowl
My prediction: BYU wins over Oregon
Final score: BYU 38, Oregon 8 (Make that 2-0)

Tuesday, December 19 - Poinsettia Bowl (San Diego)
My prediction: TCU wins over Northern Illinois
Final score: TCU 37, Northern Illinois 7 (Off to a 1-0 start)

The 10 best "Bet you didn't know" from the Chronicle's "College Football Bowl Preview" in Monday's (December 18th) edition --

10. Sugar Bowl - LSU lost three consecutive Sugar Bowls in 1936-38, including back-to-back games to Santa Clara. (Did you know that Santa Clara also played Rice in the first game at Rice Stadium?)
9. Armed Forces Bowl - Tulsa was the first school to appear in five straight New Year's Day bowls (1942-46). (Back when it meant something.)
8. Sun Bowl - ESPN's Lee Corso and actor Burt Reynolds played in the Florida State backfield in the 1955 Sun Bowl that the Seminoles lost 47-20 to Texas Western. (And no, Bobby Bowden wasn't their coach!)
7. Texas Bowl - Neither school played in a bowl before 1978. Rutgers started football in 1869 and Kansas State in 1896. (And I think Rutgers first bowl game was against the Coogs in the now-defunct Garden State Bowl.)
6. New Mexico Bowl - San Jose State's Dick Tomey is the winningest coach in Hawaii and Arizona history, joining Bear Bryant and George Welsh as the only coaches to be all-time wins leader at two schools. (Does Tomey have enough time to add a third state to his credit?)
5. Capital One Bowl - Arkansas has played only five games against Big Ten schools, with its lone victory over a winless Northwestern team in 1981. (And they probably beat SMU and TCU the weeks before in the SWC.)
4. Motor City Bowl - In its bowl debut, Middle Tennessee lost to Sam Houston State 27-14 in the 1956 Refrigerator Bowl in Evansville, Indiana. (The last bowl game MTSU was in was in 1964 - the Grantland Rice Bowl. This year is very, very watered down.)
3. Fiesta Bowl - When Boise State started playing football in 1968, OU had played more than 70 seasons and had won four national titles. (Look what blue turf will do for you.)
2. Orange Bowl - Entering this season, Wake Forest had the 117th-worst winning percentage among 119 NCAA Division 1-AA schools, leading only Kent State and Florida International.
1. Outback Bowl - At 24-12-2 in bowls, Penn State has the highest winning percentage of any school (minimum 20 games).

8 Comments:

Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

I am anxious to see who you'll pic for the Holiday Bowl. By the way, I noticed that your b-day is approaching. When is the big day?

8:12 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I think I'm seeing an Aggie baiting me on. :)

I thought about inviting everyone out to do Run The Woodlands 5K #169 on the first Saturday in January, the 6th as it would be my first race as a Master.

Some diligent web surfing through some club newsletters on the Web would yield you the exact answer.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your birthday is Jan. 5. Every year.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take:
TCU
Oregon
Rice
San Jose State
S. Florida
Utah
Hawaii

Warning: I've always sucked at picking bowl games.

1:25 PM  
Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

GIG'EM!!! WHOOP!!! :-) Hey, I don't have classes until January 20th, so I can actually make a Woodlands run.

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RTW #170 will be my first race....ouch....in the 50-59 group.

6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a disappointing bowl appearance by Rice. I hope it doesn't negate the renewed interest on South Main. I was really pleased to see all of the students in their War Owls shirts. At Rice you don't expect to win many games, but I was always amazed at how well the kids that ate lunch next to you would take on the big sports programs.

3:59 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I don't believe that it will.

Graham has too much invested to see it fall down around him and I gather, from people that I talk to, that he is not the type of individual that is easily deterred.

It will be interesting to see who Rice has on its non-conference schedule in 2007.

It's a shame that C-USA can't negotiate a bigger bowl assignment for its champion than the Liberty Bowl.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home