Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Tuesday Workout

Surprisingly, I felt pretty good Monday, but gave things a complete rest from running or working out. Plus I delayed my chiropractor appointment to go through some level II exercises until today because I wanted to make sure I could do them without too much strain from the running on Sunday.

Sunday evening, before I made it back from Jacksonville, Florida, Waverly went out with her Mom and did the 4.1-mile outer loop of the subdivision in 47 minutes, 29 seconds - for a pace of 11:34 per mile. (I was actually more proud of her for doing that than of me running the Jacksonville Marathon.)

Tonight, we joined the co-workout between the Luke's Locker - The Woodlands Quick Beat and The Woodlands Team In Training groups.

Waverly and I walked one lap around the track as a warmup and then started into eight (8) laps of lane 7. For those with short memories (seriously, I'm joking), I explained last week that running in lane 7 equates to 446.01142 meters each lap instead of 400. Multiply that times eight, convert it to miles and it comes out to 2.217 miles.

Last Tuesday night, taking it easy, Waverly ran it in 26:21.16 for an 11:53 per mile pace.

Tonight, she did it 25:32.20 or an 11:31 per mile pace. (That pace is a 5K PR pace of 35:46. But when you look at how the splits tonight went, it would be unlikely that she could hold it all for another mile.)

Her lap splits last Tuesday were:
3:12.84, 3:22.78, 3:14.29, 3:18.60, 3:20.32, 3:18.67, 3:19.68 and 3:13.98

This week they were a little different:
2:58.36, 3:08.01, 3:11.96, 3:14.53, 3:14.75, 3:17.41, 3:21.88 and 3:05.30

We got off to a quicker start and immediately made a conscious effort to slow it down. The last lap we both tried to push it a little. We walked another lap around the track as a cool down.

Thursday will be real easy for her - just a simple 2.1 miles and then she'll do Run The Woodlands 5K #168 on Saturday, December 23 with a goal to run steady the entire way without walking.

I ended up doing another mile and a half (in lane 2), untimed, for close to 4 miles total.

After getting her back to the house, I went to Bally's in The Woodlands and got in two (2) 24-minute hill routines on the stationery bike -- one at level 8 and another at level 10.

Hmmm ... I just need to find my way to the pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home