Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, December 16, 2006

Willis Wildkat 5K Race Report

Really a nice event - the Willis Wildkat 5K - put together by Dana Fossmo, the cross country coach of Willis High School, this morning at and around Anchorage Marina on Lake Conroe.

42 finishers in the 5K and 16 in the kids 1.1-kilometer run. Not bad for a first year event and this had everything that you could want - inexpensive ($15), accurate results, age group awards, a dark-colored t-shirt (which, of course, is different), tons of refreshments and a pretty challenging course.

There's literally not one thing that I can think that they could improve upon.

The course went through a subdivision and it immediately reminded me of a 10K that I did back in 2003 in Shreveport, Louisiana when I was ramping up to run my very first half marathon.

I didn't see the mile markers (and I'm glad that I didn't.) However, other runns said that they saw them. I probably ran fairly comfortably at about 90% - just less of the speedwork that I've done recently.

I finished in 30:19.66, which was good for 3rd in 35-39 age group.
Nice engraved medal. (I need to run in Montgomery County more often!)

It was a good run for me. Hopefully next Saturday at Run The Woodlands 5K #168, I hope that I can get back in to 29-minute territory. I think that I will be able to on a basically flat course. Today's course didn't have any uphills, per se, but certainly a spot or two with a slight incline.

Former Willis Wildkat cross county stars Jacob Jones, who runs for Baylor, and Elizabeth Slaughter, who runs for Texas A&M, won the event in 16:11 and 19:19, respectively.

Winning the Masters titles were Rafael Martinez (50-54) and Houstonian and HARRA member Sabra Harvey, 57, in times of 19:19 and 20:36, respectively.

With president Ken Johnson serving as an adviser on the race, the Seven Hills Running Club turned out to support the event with Dr. Chris Wilson leading the way in 24:04 and followed three (3) seconds behind by 59-year-old former Houston police officer Hans Jaeger. Those three seconds cost Jaeger an age group award!

Both Ken and 72-year-old True Cousins had good races today. In fact, it was one of Ken's better 5K races in some time. Ken finished in 32:15 and True was not far behind in 33:41.

Up from Houston were HMSA's Paul Cooley (20:37, 2nd 55-59), Clark Courtright (22:31, 2nd 45-49) and Larry Lindeen (23:20, 1st 65-69). It's always good to see Danny Gilbreath out and he ran well today in 22:58 - good for 2nd 50-54.

Doing a little web surfing so that I could get the results online at Runner Triathlete News, I noticed that Willis ISD superintendent Brian Zemlicka and his son, Chris, ran the race in 26:05.

Fellow The Woodlands Running Club membership committee person Mike Mendeck, 59, of Conroe, ran well with a time of 26:47, but was in the toughest age group (55-59) where he finished 5th. Mike introduced me to some nice folks from Willis, Mike Sproba and his sister-in-law, Robin Sproba. She and her husband, Rich, are in the real estate business. Mike is in the mortgage business. All three (3) ran the race. Mike won the family competition and beat her brother by more than a minute, 21:19 to 22:41. Robin finished in 28:11.

So .... to answer the question that I posed earlier in this post .... where am I off to so that I can log race #200 tomorrow? Florida for tomorrow's Jacksonville Bank Marathon.

Lou Wilson of The Woodlands - and TWRC - will be there to run his 72nd marathon. I do not believe that he'll be adding his 28th state.

Me? It will be marathon #11 and state #8, as long as I'm successful. I don't have a time projection, but I'm going to work on my long-distance pacing and register another state - thanks for frequent flyer miler and hotel points (and 31 miles last Saturday at Sunmart).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

5k hardware Saturday, marathon Sunday. Sounds like a perfect weekend! Congrats Jon!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful at the marathon as you're not fully recoverd from Sunmart. I did the 50K and struggled to complete 15 miles today.

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Jon! I'm suffering from a relapse. I'm a coughing maniac right now. Otherwise, I would have been there today.

8:05 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Joe: There was only three people in my age group! I would have had to DNF to miss hardware

Anonymous: No plans here to come and run a PR. Nice and easy to get in another state. I did 4 in 5 weeks in the spring.

Holden: Just get well for Houston. Ken Johnson picked up your packet. If I were going to Hans Jaeger's Christmas function tomorrow night, Ken would have given it to me. I'll send him your e-mail address.

Jon

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home