Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 28, 2006

College Football Bowl Picks, Week 2

Week 1 found myself going 5-2.

Edwin Quarles, who logged his picks in the comments area, also went 5-2.

I almost typed, "Now if I could run as fast as Edwin."

But even though going faster over a given distance is the object of our sport, having fun and still doing well means more to me.

When it all becomes too much of a hassle, it will be time for me to find another hobby!

Now on to the picks!

Sunday, December 31 - MPC Computers Bowl (Boise, Idaho)
My prediction: Miami over Nevada

Saturday, December 30 - Chick-fil-A Bowl (Atlanta, Georgia)
My prediction: Georgia over Virginia Tech

Saturday, December 30 - Alamo Bowl (San Antonio, Texas)
My prediction: Texas over Iowa

Saturday, December 30 - Meineke Car Care Bowl (Charlotte, North Carolina)
My prediction: Boston College over Navy

Friday, December 29 - Champ Sports Bowl (Orlando, Florida)
My prediction: Maryland over Purdue

Friday, December 29 - Insight Bowl (Tempe, Arizona)
My prdiction: Texas Tech over Minnesota

Friday, December 29 - AutoZone Liberty Bowl (Memphis, Tennessee)
My prediction: South Carolina over Houston

Friday, December 29 - Brut Sun Bowl (El Paso, Texas)
My prediction: Oregon State over Missouri

Friday, December 29 - Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl (Nashville, Tennessee)
My prediction: Clemson over Kentucky

Thursday, December 28 - Texas Bowl (Houston)
My prediction: Rutgers over Kansas State

Thursday, December 28 - Pacific Life Holiday Bowl (San Diego)
My prediction: Texas A&M over California

Thursday, December 28 - PetroSun Independence Bowl (Shreveport, Louisiana)
My prediction: Alabama over Oklahoma State

Wednesday, December 27 - Emerald Bowl (San Francisco)
My prediction: Florida State over UCLA
Final score: Florida State 44, UCLA 27 (Go to 7-2 as I figured it would be too much for the Seminoles to stomach their first losing season in 30 years. I've always thought Bowden is a class act, but I've never had any love lost for the Seminoles. Sorry Keith!)

Tuesday, December 26 - Motor City Bowl (Detroit)
My prediction: Central Michigan over Middle Tennessee State
Final score: Central Michigan 31, Middle Tennessee State 14 (6-2 thanks to the Chippewas)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the top
Miami
Va. Tech
Texas
Boston College
Maryland
Texas Tech
Houston
Oregon State
Clemson
Kansas State
Cal
Oklahoma State
UCLA
Chippewas

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Brut must be trying to make a comeback to sponsor a bowl.

I guess the Sun Bowl was happy to have the money, no matter the product being placed.


doug

6:16 PM  
Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Beat the hell outta Cal! WHOOP!

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home