Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, January 08, 2007

New Chronicle Running Blog

We're waiting on the Chronicle's Dwight Silverman, their interactive online editor, to return from the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas this week to set up a new "Run Houston" running blog that will be co-authored by Edwin Quarles and myself.

I was approached by Dwight the Friday before last.

I told him that I was certainly flattered to be asked, but that I had two concerns. The first of which is that I'm spread pretty thin and that I recommended a co-author like some of their other blogs. He was certainly in favor of that given Edwin's credentials (Journalism teacher at Angleton HS, former sports editor for the Lufkin Daily News and now writing for Footprints and Runner Triathlete News.)

The second was the placement of the blog. The Chronicle has reader blogs. They don't control the content of it and they have a heavy disclaimer obviously. My concern is that the Sports blogs in that section were 1.) guns, 2.) poker with Matt Dean of The Woodlands, and 3.) ultra flights.

I kindly requested that a running blog be included in the Chronicle's Sports section blogs with the Fan Blogs for the Astros, Rockets, Texans and Dynamo.

He indicated that it wasn't his call but that he would pitch it to the individual that was the online sports section editor. We'll see. I told him that it was my responsibility in my role as VP, Communications for the Houston Area Road Runners Association to present running in the most positive light possible. I just think that our sport deserves not to be relegated to guns and poker status.

Our approach to this blog will be to report hard news and be a compliment to Roberta MacInnis' Thursday columns. There won't be any training run recaps, etc.

As soon as I have more information and/or the link, I'll be more than happy to let you know. I'm hoping that we have it before Friday so that we can report from the floor of the Expo!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent news Jon. I enjoy reading both yours and Edwin’s writing so I look forward to what will be offered in the Houston Chronicle’s Running Blog, no matter the placement.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW - Happy belated birthday

Tommy

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kevin Whited said...

Any word on the running blog?

It's a shame it didn't happen before the marathon.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home