Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Latest!

I think my readership has definitely slipped under Steve Bezner's 4.6 by now!

For the 4.2 of you that are still with me, work has just absolutely kicked me in the rear this week and I really haven't had time to do much other than work, eat and sleep up here in Vancouver.

However, as one might expect, I'm going to get out of town a little bit and run this weekend.

There was a Fat Ass 50K & 25K on one of the islands (Orcas Island) just west of Anacortes, Washington that I found out about today. The entry fee was priced right - $10, but the ferry ride over and back was almost $60! I think I'll pass, although it looked fun and challenging. If I had planned it more in advance, I might have tried it regardless of the cost.

So ... the second option is the Tenth Annual Smelt Run 10K in LaConner, Washington since I can't do the Run The Woodlands 5K / ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 10K double. (Yes, Mr. Quarles was going to challenge me to do it, but not try it himself. I understand how those things work. Do I look like Mikey?)

My picks for ConocoPhillips tomorrow (if they're running it)? I'll take Sean Wade and Andreina Byrd. Byrd has won four straight 5Ks in a row -- all in under 18 minutes. However, if any of the winners from the last two years were to show -- Cassandra Henkiel or Kelly Keane, I'd withdraw my pick. Personally, I think it would be interested to see Kim Hager give Byrd a run tomorrow; however, I believe that she is running with some of the Luke's Locker Beat program participants.

The remainder of their program participants will train with three of the most-talented cut-ups in the sport - Bill Dwyer, Andrew Perry and Rick Cook.

Sunday, I may make the drive over to Summerland, British Columbia for the Summerland Centennial Half Marathon. Don't expect another 2:12 from when I did the 3M Half Marathon a couple of weeks ago, if I make it over there.

Races at this time of the year right now are slim pickings in the Pacific Northwest and southwestern British Columbia; however, with temperatures around freezing, it is to be expected. (I just paused to see if there were any runs down around Portland, Oregon and there was a trail run whose web site address was http://www.haggmud.com/! I'll pass. My shoes from Rocky Raccoon are still a mess!)

That's all for now. I have a post upcoming on the RunHouston Chronicle blog on Tim Neckar being one of only three selected to run Badwater this year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as you keep paying me, I'll keep reading.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home