Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Potentially Dangerous Marathon Relay Team!

Going through the results of Montgomery County residents from this past Sunday's AT&T Austin Marathon, I stumbled upon the possibility of a two-person marathon relay team made up of the only competing residents from the communities of Porter and Splendora.

The team? Hmmm ... Sharp/Bobbitt or Bobbitt/Sharp - just depending on how you wanted to slice it. (And I'm sure that Gillette would step up and sponsor them!)

Porter's Jeff Sharp, 48, turned in a fine performance of 4:15:58 while Splendora's 37-year-old Billie Bobbitt fashioned a time of 4:41:21.

Both runners also ran the Chevron Houston Marathon in January where Sharp covered the mostly flat course in 4:23:13 as Bobbitt got close to her PR with a time of 4:33:33. Sharp's PR was set in Chicago in 2004 with an effort of 4:05:06, according to marathonguide.com.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know I will NOT be at the ConcoPhillips Rodeo Run this weekend. Yes...I have been signed up forever ---I am pretty sure I signed up in late December or first thing in January. I have had my packet for
the longest time....about 5 weeks....I got it in the mail because I signed up so long ago.

However, I have been battling a very bizarre illness since about
February 6th-8th. I finally went to the doctor today, as this illness has actually made my quality life near "zero". Since February 6th, each day, I it
has gotten worse and worse. I have had to stop doing almost anything outside of the home. I have still been going to work, but even that has been an issue with this illness.

Today, the doctor gave me a diagnosis and he has started me on some medication, FIRST, before doing a bunch of tests. If the medicine works, then we will know his diagnosis of this was correct.

I have to take the medicine for an entire week. He said I should begin to see some slight improvement within 3-4 days IF this is the problem and by
the end of 7 days, I should be totally well. I sure hope this is the "fix" to this. This has been absolutely the WORST thing I have ever had in my entire life.

I won't go into any details about the illness as it is VERY disgusting and gross. No....it cannot be "caught" by anyone, so nobody who would have been
around me during this period (Feb. 6th up to now) could get what I have.

Anyway, I wanted you to know you won't see me at the Rodeo Run.

I am so missing running, in general, and certainly missing ALL MY RACES!!!! This has been just terrible. I am very weak from losing so many nutrients with this illness and so it will take me about a week to build up my
nutrients once I am well. IF this medicine makes me well, I MAY try to run the Race Against Violence on March 3rd, but not sure. I want to be very ready to run Bayou City Classic, so I may hold off on any racing until then, March 10th.

Good luck at Conoco. This will be the first time I have had to miss
this race since I began running it in 2006.....I am SO bummed!!!

I cannot wait to get out on Sundays again---I have not been to a Sunday run since December 3rd. BUT....more than that, I am missing the fun runs.

When you see others, if they ask, please let them know. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for listening.
Take care,
Bonnie Jo

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home