Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Saturday, Mar. 24 Workout

I've been a bit lazy here lately; however, life and work has done a number on me recently.

It's late in the afternoon here in Vancouver, British Columbia. I just finished up an hour and a half on the elliptical machine (EFX 524 ... more of a stepper) watching Ohio State defeat Memphis as well as the beginning of Kansas and UCLA game.

The first half hour, I did an interval routine and then for the hour, I started out with crosstrack of 16 and incline of 12, went down one on each every five minutes until I got to 30 minutes in and then stepped back up -- finishing as hard as it was when I started.

So, that'll be enough for me to go run the Mercer Island Half Marathon tomorrow down in the Seattle area. Right?

We'll see how things go. I really don't expect much. Anything under 2:24 will be miraculous for not having run at all in over two weeks. The textbook would say though that I'm completely recovered from the marathon that I did three weeks ago in Alpharetta, Georgia. (What's crazy about my life these days is that *that* seems like about six weeks ago.)

But, yes, I know, the textbook also doesn't say, "Well, hey, let's just go run a half marathon for something to do!"

I suppose I could go run 13 or more miles around the Vancouver area, but what fun would that be. Sure, I'd get a workout, but I may not push myself as hard as I'd like.

Besides, I need the motivation - especially proving naysayers wrong. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home