Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Sunday Splash!

Yes, I finally made it in the water. Why heck, it IS Florida!

It is Sunday evening here at the Orange Lake Resort & Country Club in Orlando. I drove my daughter, two nieces and my mother over here on Saturday from Spring. We left at 5:15 a.m. Central time and made it here at approximately 10:30 p.m. Eastern time -- and this included two sit-down stops to eat.

After sleeping in, not doing too much today (got some things done online), going and eating dinner with my grandfather (everybody else had eaten a late lunch), I made it down to the pool - outdoors - at about 8:30 p.m. I have no idea how far I went, but I surmise that I was down there for about 35 minutes. I walked off about 60 feet (so I suppose that is still 20 yards). I might have done this distance approximately 25 times -- and only once did I back and forth without stopping! Yikes!

I wasn't necessarily winded (and still am not afterwards), but I found it more to be the 1.) weight and 2.) lack of arm strength -- if that makes sense. I kept asking myself, "I've run six marathons or greater since the first of November, why shouldn't this be a "little" bit easier?" I also thought, "Sheesh ... Dana Lyons could retire coaching me on the swim!"

I'll be back to do a lot more before we leave on Saturday.

On Thursday, Waverly and I walked 4.1 miles in 1:03:35 -- the first 1.7 miles in 26:50.57 (15:47) and 2.4 miles in 36:45.09 (15:18). Just a brisk walk.

Friday afternoon, I went to Bally's in The Woodlands and hit the elliptical machine for 45 minutes doing 3.95 miles, adding something a bit different. I tried five or six times, spaced out about five minutes a part, to try and do 180 foot strikes (or strides) in a minute. If I didn't have it on the random setting, where it throws in an incline periodically, I'm sure I could have done it; however, I think all of the time I was between 1:07 and 1:14. It was tough, but something different for fun. I followed up the elliptical machine with a 30-minute ride on the stationery bike.

It is 10:10 p.m. Eastern and I'm still considering going out for a run. I've already measured off a 1.8-mile jaunt from the Villa to Highway 192 and another 1.6-mile around a set of villas.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmmmmmm.....maybe a triathlon in your future ????????????

7:16 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Maybe I'll make it CB&I and we can have some fun?! (Actually, I don't know which weekend I'll have to stay over up in Vancouver.)

500 meters is 546.8 yards. Hmm .. so 30 trips back and forth in this pool. How long does it take an average person to do 500 meters?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I do 100m in just under 2:00 and I'd consider myself an above average swimmer -- but only a bit above. I'd say average is probably something like 2:00 - 2:15 per 100m.

I could be wrong though.

Do a tri! I'll be doing a lot of them this year. :)

11:40 AM  
Blogger Crosstrain said...

After three to four weeks of training, I was overjoyed to do 400 yds without stopping in 10:30. So I'm not fast at that Sarah!

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home