Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Early Friday Morning Run

Wow! I even got out on the roads this morning before Barbara!

Actually, I left the hotel here in Vancouver, BC at about 1:55 a.m. Pacific and headed out for a cold-morning run. (I do have an early departure to the airport to come home.) Knowing that the forecast for Sunday morning in Alpharetta, Georgia is going to be 27 degrees, I figured it would be good to get a feel for what I needed to wear. (I had a long sleeve technical shirt with a pullover fleece-type piece. I may need to add one more light layer - dependent upon if this is any wind on Sunday.)

Weather.ca said that it was 32 degrees Farenheit and that it felt like -4 degrees Celsius or almost 25 degrees. When I finished my run and stepped inside of the 7-11, the clerk said, "Isn't it cold out?" I think we was surprised to see me in shorts and nothing on my head!

When I look at the numbers, it was a good run for me right now even though I felt like I was running in quicksand.

I was on this route and covered 6.39 miles (10.29 kilometers) in 1:07:39. Of course, all of the cyborgs playing along at home will know - without looking at the pace chart - that this was a pace of 10:35 per mile - on hills.

The way that my work schedule plays out it looks like I will be here for the 50,000-person Vancouver Sun Run 10K on Sunday, April 15. It is one of the top 10 runs in the world - if the metric that you're using for top is the number of finishers (which is what Running USA uses.)

You might even be able to call this run "popular" as well. 50,000 kind of lends itself to that.

It is when the organizers of races that have no more than about three to four hundred finishers start calling themselves one of the more popular runs in their city. That, my friends, is called "spin." Which translates to: Don't drink the kool aid!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, you are funny! You can beat me any Friday. I work out with a personal trainer on my lunch hours on Fridays so you aren't likely to see a morning report from me on those days.

I did almost post early this morning though, to tell our buddy Rick that I had grilled salmon for dinner last night. I'm posting it here instead though.

7:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home