Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, June 08, 2007

Friday at Home

I'm back in the States until the 18th and then I make my last two-week rotation to Vancouver, British Columbia. (So I'll be making my last weekend running road trip in the Pacific Northwest, which is what I should have done this past weekend.)

Astute readers would surmise that there must be a change in my job situation on the horizon and they would be right. While it isn't appropriate for me to disclose the company that I'm leaving or the one that I'm going to here in cyberspace, the change is a major plus for my career.

The company that I am working for announced that it was dissolving our division. It was profitable, made money, hit revenue targets and all of the like, but in the scope of the larger group that we were in, we represented less than 1% of the total revenue. Therefore, it was strictly a business decision to move in a different direction.

I was very fortunate as I was on a project that was ongoing and had a signed contract through the end of October (and was just recently extended to the end of May 2008). This gave me an opportunity to adequately evaluate my various options. (Some of my peers weren't as lucky.)

I reached out to the company that I am going to work for, beginning on Monday, July 9th, and they became very interested in my abilities and background in the healthcare revenue cycle area. I received a verbal offer last Wednesday and the written offer two days ago. Needless to say, it didn't take too long for me to get the ink on the offer and get it back.

I'll still travel. (I've been doing that since 1994 anyways.) And I'll still live in Houston, which means I'll continue to support the running community in our area as long as I have the energies and the abilities.

I was communicating via e-mail this afternoon with HARRA president Anna Sumrall Helm about next Saturday's Summer Celebration and we're both excited about having another go around in 2007-2008 for the current Board. It's a great group of people and I'm proud to serve with the individuals that are on it. (I just wish I could be at more Board meetings.)

We need to increase our footprint (no pun intended on the newsletter) in the Houston area and that will continue to take a lot of work. This past year was one of transition and a learning year for many involved. Webmaster Sarah Graybeal, membership director Erin Foley and treasurer Audrey Christiansen have worked incredibly hard the past month or two to begin to transform the website and put in some membership options that never existed before.

I've been very fortunate with the cooperation that I have received from the clubs in getting more of their club reports in Footprints. I think we've had some great writing from Dr. Bob Hoekman, Jessica Alexander, Edwin Quarles and the big feature by Doug Spence on Seymour Lieberman.

I'm obligated to promote HARRA members first and there are times where I've had to pull back on an item or two because the individual wasn't a HARRA member. However, that is the right thing to do as we need those runners to support HARRA too. (I'm personally excited about the upcoming July/August issue as Edwin did a nice feature story on Lea Carruthers. A good man writing about someone who is very humble about the abilities she's been blessed with.)

Jack McClintic has done a tremendous job in taking charge of the Power In Motion the last three seasons after having to fill an untimely void in the program. With assistance from Tom Radosevich and a cross-section of coaches from across the Houston running club system, Jack has made sure that the original spirit of PIM was preserved and perpetuated when there were those who thought that HARRA might strikeout on the selection of spit balls it was thrown.

And Jack already has the table set for the Fall 2007 session!

The Summer Celebration will have a surprise or two ... and we'll have the chance to recognize some folks, especially the Runner of the Season money-winners. You'll have to show up to find out the rest!

Tomorrow is going to be a huge day at Run The Woodlands 5K #179 -- the Seven Hills Running Club in Huntsville versus The Woodlands Running Club in The Woodlands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home