Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Workout Updates - June 8-17

Friday night - 50 minutes, stationery bike
Saturday early evening - 60 minutes, elliptical trainer, 5.12 miles
Sunday afternoon - 60 minutes, treadmill, 1.0 incline

Sort of ran this like intervals inside of a 4-minute warmup and a 5-minute cooldown. Started at one mph setting for two (2) minutes, bumped it up .2 mph for four (4) minutes, back down .1 mph for two, up again .2 mph for four minutes and repeat. Minutes 51-55 found me bumping the mph up .1 for every minute before starting a cooldown. (Plus I always run for time on the treadmill and never pay attention to the miles.)

Monday evening - 36 minutes, treadmill and 20 minutes, stationery bike

I didn't finish my goal run, but I got in the length of the workout that I wanted. I started out - with a 1.0 incline - at 4.4 mph and decided to bump it .1 mph every 5 minutes. Well, after, 15 minutes, I was bored (but didn't want to go all the way hard) so when I took it to 4.7 mph I also moved the incline to 1.5.

Since I'm going to be doing the Heavy Half Marathon in Leadville, Colorado, it might be good for me to start running some inclines. Well, I did another 15 minutes and at 5.0 mph, I moved the incline to 2.0. Wow! That wore me out. After five minutes, I had to drop it back to 1.0 when I moved the speed to 5.1 mph. I lasted a minute and I was whipped.

Tuesday - 75 minutes, stationery bike (4:15-5:30) and 3.84 miles, track (6:45)

Nothing spectacular, but better than a zero. 3.84 miles, 41 minutes, 7 seconds, 10:42/pace. While it had cooled down to the low 80's as the rain blew north up Interstate 45, it was still very humid.

Wednesday - 60 minutes, elliptical trainer, 5.02 miles and 10 minutes, stationery bike

Thursday through Sunday - Crash! Nothing!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

I can barely stand to run for 40 minutes on the treadmill. I want to try for 50 minutes this week, but it will be tough! I get so bored!!!

8:53 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I have a favorite treadmill that has something up in front so I can read.

It is why I try to mix it up a little bit and make it a challenge.

Plus I read old Runner's World magazine (like from the late 1970's). Wait, I'm sure you're thinking that that would be boring too!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Gaslight ;-) said...

So are you really going to run the Half in Lander? I LOVE that town. Kate & I drove there in 7/2000 to complete an Outdoor Educator Couse with NOLS. It's totally cute with everyting you need right there on the same block (i.e. microbrewed beer, coffee, bagels, library, funky-cool athletic store). I'd move there if it weren't six degrees in the winter!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home