Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

13 Days 'Til Houston's 1st $100 Entry Fee Before Race Day!

Somewhere somebody on the Houston Marathon Committee on the morning of August 2nd will smile looking at the bank statement to see the rush of money that came streaming in from people trying to avoid a $100 entry fee to run the 36th annual Chevron Houston Marathon on Sunday, January 13, 2008.

In case you missed, as I did (and one source told me they had to dig for it as the registration links which are prominent on the website's main page deflect away from the links which contain the price increase information), here is the fee schedule the remainder of the way for the Chevron Houston Marathon and the Aramco Houston Half Marathon:

Marathon
$85 through July 31
$100 August 1 through September 30
$120 October 1 until cap is reached

Half Marathon
$60 through July 31
$70 August 1 through September 30
$85 October 1 until cap is reached

I know that there are a whole bunch of people out there who hope that the Marathon doesn't hit the cap. I'm not one of them. I could care less quite honestly.

And again, before I get pelted with e-mails and comments, I understand the mentality and rationale that if you're going to train for the event then why not go ahead and pay the money now.

The bottom line is: If I run Houston (and I know that people are already putting it in their DayTimer to check on August 1st), I'll do so to honor the memory of J. Fred Duckett, who wasn't asked back by the Marathon last year after more than 20 years of volunteer service.

One item locally that may have gone unnoticed by many is that the Sunday, October 28 Koala Health & Wellness Centers & Luke's Locker Half Marathon WILL allow bib number transfers.

From the race's signmeup.com registration link:

If for whatever reason, you are unable to participate in the Half Marathon Race or the Half Marathon Relay and wish to transfer your Bib Number to a friend who wishes to run in the same race that you originally registered for, you may do so. There will be a $5.00 transfer fee for each transfer. All transfers must be made at Late Registration and require the signatures of both parties. No transfers will be allowed on race morning.

And the transfer fee is completely reasonable.

Congratulations to the Houston Striders and race director Barb Shepard for interjecting a dose of sanity in the notion that runners have lives that sometime change.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was unaware of the three price levels until yesterday. It's a great race and should still sell out.

For a cheap guy like me who is a little old school...maybe the..

Texas Marathon Triple. Run three races for about the same cost as an 11th hour entry for Houston and get a windbreaker type jacket and a t-shirt to commemorate your accomplishment of completing all 3 marathons.

Texas Marathon 1/1/08,
Surfside Beach Marathon 2/9/08
Seabrook Marathon 3/16/08

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should also say...way to go Striders for adding the transfer policy.

I never liked the 20K/now 1/2 marathon course downtown. I loved the Walden on Lake Houston version of the 20K in the 80's & early 90's.

For the Striders attention to detail I might just have to enter the race this year...or maybe organize a relay.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home