Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, July 21, 2007

TIR Saturday Morning Trash Talk

I'm almost 40 minutes into my planned hour on the elliptical machine at the Bally's in The Woodlands as I'm firmly engrossed reading this year's copy of Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine.

I hear this voice saying, "That isn't going to help you in March."

I look up and its 30-year-old Juliee Sparks of The Woodlands, one of Bill Dwyer's "Texian Road Warriors" for this March's Texas Independence Relay.

My response was, "Endurance. Endurance."

Juliee, who ran a 1:50:56 half marathon in Houston in January and then followed it up a month later with a 1:48:04 effort in Austin, has recently been battling some of the same piriformis issues that I have in the past and was excited about her run this morning as it was the first time that she's felt good in weeks.

As I've stated before, our battle against Bill's team, which will feature two speedsters in Kim Hager, who ran in the 2004 U.S. Olympic Trials Marathon, and Andrew Perry, who competed at the UIL Class 4A state track meet his senior year, will be fun.

I'm confident though that we'll negate their advantage over our two fastest runners - Edwin Quarles and Joltin' Joe Carey - with gains of our own at most of the other 10 spots.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super sweet Juliee? That's so out of character for her.

Unlike Jon who I felt clipping at my heals for a little while on Tuesday. Pacing along with a quiet confidence that was implying...."hey Bill, you're actually running....and I'm right here and can pass you anytime I want".

11:34 AM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

Yes, but on the second 100, you turned the burners on and I got gapped by Scott and Susie.

All you need right now is miles under your legs.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the anchor for our team. However, I have no idea who's going to run last on our team.

4:01 PM  
Blogger Woodlands Runner said...

I don't have a flash light yet. Need to get one..... maybe two.

7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home