Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, August 13, 2007

Changes Ahead

If you've ever wanted to contribute to publicizing the sport of running here in Houston or the activities of the Houston Area Road Runners Association (HARRA), here's your chance!

1.) I'll be letting the folks at the Houston Chronicle know that I am no longer able to keep up and do the type of job that I desire to do with the RunHouston blog.

2.) I'm also seeking a replacement for my role as VP, Communications and Footprints Editor for HARRA.

On the first opportunity, please e-mail me at walksports(at)aol.com and on the latter, you can let myself or Anna Sumrall Helm, HARRA's president, know.

Note that I'll continue to serve in the HARRA role until we find an adequate replacement and can transition those responsibilities. (By the way, I might add that this decision doesn't have anything to do with HARRA itself. I think the group of people on the Board are great individuals and I appreciate the respect I'm given by them.)

I think I've been fortunate enough to raise the bar in both areas, but personal situations and work pressures keep me from doing the job that I desire to be able to do in each endeavour.

Thanks for your past support and I'll see you on the roads!

Oh .... and if nobody steps up to the plate, guess what? You're stuck with me calling it as I see it. I've said before and will say it again, that I think there are others who agree with me but may be afraid to step out there and say what I think (and subsequently write.)

As I said in the comments of the last, most contentious post (to some), all it sometimes would take is a phone call to say "let's sit down in person and see if I can address some of your issues."