Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, September 07, 2007

Friday, September 7 - 30 Minutes, Treadmill

That's right, friends, you missed the title, "Thursday, September 6," above. My goal to be like Ken and Vincent failed once again! But I'm not undeterred!

I was wiped out yesterday evening, went to bed fairly early and couldn't drag myself out the door at 1:30 a.m. when I woke up - the first time.

So at 7:30 a.m. this morning Pacific time, I went downstairs here at the Marriott Courtyard and hammered out 30 minutes on the treadmill. Yeah, it said 2.43 miles, but I know I can cover 3 miles in 30 minutes.

Did the 4.3, 4.5, 4.7, 4.9 and 5.1 for the first 22 minutes then added .1 mph a minute until I did the last minute at 6.0 mph. And Bill, yes, that brought the knees up doing so!

Those of you are taking the trouble to sign in to read the blog, thanks. I appreciate your effort. This blog will just be for me and my friends. I tried to cover the sport and the community, but a couple of folks who wanted to make things personal changed that. I'll drive more to the RunHouston Chronicle blog and that's OK. It has never been about me having an audience. It just sort of grew.

A local invited runner (or very much on the cusp of) to the Marathon - and no, it wasn't Jim Braden or Brett Riley either - sent out an e-mail yesterday to their distribution list talking about the $40 for the Koala / Luke's Half Marathon and how it was more than the Space City 10-Miler and the HMSA Classical 25K.

Therefore, I have two (2) posts on the Chronicle blog that may interest you. They are basically a Texas Marathon and Half Marathon price guide.

I think I may end up at the Kolance Krunch 5K in Caldwell tomorrow morning. It would be easy to go to the Bearkat Bash 5K in Klein, but I want to run something different. The interesting thing on their race materials is that they said that the course is "GPS-certified". Sorry, there isn't such a thing. I wish I had the money for every little race like this to be able to send Tom McBrayer out there to certify their course.

If anybody is interested in going out there with me, let me know!

McBrayer is one of the best there is, and his measurement was put to the test in January when Ryan Hall broke the U.S. record at the distance. When there is a belief that a record may be set, a course is often pre-qualified for record quality. This wasn't done. So Tom had to withstand a little nervousness until Bob Barnhill, another quality and top-notch measurer, used some different techniques to say that McBrayer's work was up to snuff. Hall's American record as well as Cantu's, Lauren Smith's and Marcie McCaskill's single-age marks will be certified this December.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tiggs said...

The miles will get easier and will pay off. I keep repeating this to myself!

Why does running have to get so personal all the time? It's just running!

This weekend I'm doing 14 in between working and housecleaning!

2:18 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

During my time as a Strider, they were always hurting for volunteers to do that race. When Jon and I joined, there were about 250 or so bodies and it was difficult to get people.

Now with 500-600 people, they STILL have problems.

In 2004, I volunteered for 3 things: the LLR in Dec 2003, the 21.5 mile water station for Houston, and the 20K. I ended up winning Volunteer of the Year for 2004. I told Andrea that I didn't think I deserved it since I didn't volunteer much. She replied that I volunteered more than 80% of the Striders.

Sad that they have more than twice the number of bodies in 2007, with the same problem.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Vince A. said...

Yeah I paid my dues this morning and suffered in the 102% humidity -we'll hold the fort at RTW tomorrow have a kolachi on us...

7:09 PM  
Blogger K said...

Does anyone know what the humidity was this morning at 6 am? I think it was the worst I've ever run in! Thinking snow....

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home