Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, December 07, 2007

Friday Night Update

It's approaching 10 p.m. on a Friday evening and I just got back from putting in 50 minutes on the treadmill at Bally's in The Woodlands, so that means one thing: I'm not running Sunmart tomorrow.

I will not go and put myself through something that I will not enjoy. I'll let Rick Cook do that and be successful at it. Because he's worked his ass off to get ready for and finish the Arkansas Traveller 100 in October, I'm certain that he'll be ready for and make Texas proud when he knocks out the Western States 100.

I'm not trained to run 31 miles in warm temperatures and humidity. (Not that I ever let lack of training keep me from doing an event before.) But in the cold, you bet. I love that, and I could have done that. However, I will not intentionally make myself miserable (especially when I hadn't already registered for it.) If the Chevron Houston Marathon were tomorrow, I'd be there. :)

I will be riding up to Huntsville with Bill Dwyer and George Roffe, a pair of The Woodlands Running Club members. I'd blog from there, but well, it is in the middle of a state park near Huntsville. (I am looking at doing live blog updates from the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on January 1st though.)

But back to the running and working out, I think that I just have to learn that I need to do something on a more routine basis - and not necessarily worry about how much. Like 40 minutes on the treadmill last night and 50 minutes tonight (even if it was in two different time zones) is better than 60 minutes on one night out of the two. Somebody tell me that I'm making sense here! :)

I love mostly everything about my life. There's one part that is missing that hurts - and that takes a lot out of me emotionally because there isn't any level-setting of my emotions on a regular basis. They tend to swing fairly wildly. I'm happy to see my friends that have that part of their lives that make them fulfilled. I'm not jealous, but I'm genuinely happy because I'm always glad to see my friends doing well.

Many of you have known me for at least three years and some longer.

I hope that you never see me let the things that I have the chance to do go to my head. If you ever THINK that it is, please pull me aside and tell me. I'd have you know that I am so very fortunate to have some of the opportunities that I do. I really am humbled.

Don't get me wrong. I've read the HARRA section of this month's Inside Texas Running at least twice already today - and it bugs me that I missed two things (the column heading - Women's Overall - on page 34 is not at the top right but I might not have had anything to do with that - and - using birth instead of berth ... on page 33 in the Houston Half Mararthon write-up.) However, I feel blessed with the abilities God gave me to coordinate those eight pages and my ability to write and communicate.

As Bill, Kim Hager and I get ready to put on the Blazeman 179 Relay - a 179-person by 1-mile relay on the track - in what I'm hoping to persuade them both to be late March now, I can't even imagine how it would be to have ALS - a disease that slowly paralyzes your body but leaves you mentally intact. As I said, I'm so blessed to have the abilities that I have to communicate - and I hope to be able to continue to use the gift that God gave me to do so appropriately and wisely.

I mentioned it before, but please pick up a copy of the December edition (if you're not already a HARRA member). Edwin really wrote a heck of a story on Brett Riley. I'm very blessed to have somebody as talented as Quarles working with me on this. I needed the BARRA report knocked out close to deadline in the December edition - and the upcoming January issue - and he was "money" both times.

2008 is going to be exciting. More later. Time to get some sleep and head to Huntsville in the morning and have fun!

I'll be hanging out at the Sugar Land Lakes at Williams Ranch 30K Sunday morning and then Waverly and I will be running the Jingle Bell Run downtown that afternoon.

One final thing - as Waverly is sleeping in preparation for her taking the ACT tomorrow at Spring High School - is that she took the practice test last weekend and her scale scores put her (as a seventh grader) on par with the average high school senior that takes the test.

Amazing. The joy of having a child in that when you think that there isn't anything more that they can ever do to make you more proud of them, they excel at one more thing. Once again, I'm totally and completely humbled. :)

2 Comments:

Blogger K said...

WOW! Way to go Waverly! Jon, is she going to take the SAT in Jan? My son, who is also 7th grade is. It is part of the Duke's TIP program.

And, yes, I think it is more important to be consistent each day rather than doing big chunks. Of course, that is the opinion of just me, who has only been running for a year.

11:17 AM  
Blogger doug spence said...

I trust Bill finished Sunmart in mostly 1 piece. Only 50 degrees warmer than last year!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home