Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Saturday Night Treadmill

To make up for not doing the eight (8) miles before the 5K this morning, I logged 60 minutes on the treadmill at Bally's in The Woodlands. It is the second night in a row that I've helped close the place!

I just went ahead and switched to the treadmill that I ended up on last night.

I set the incline on 1.0 with the thought that I might have to drop it back. However, I didn't have any problems.

As you've noticed, every run of mine on the treadmill turns out to be a mini-progression run of some type. Started it at 4.0 mph and added 0.1 mph every six (6) minutes. At 54 minutes, and doing it at 4.9 mph, I added 0.1 mph each minute to close.

So at 55, I went to 5.0; 56, 5.1; 57, 5.2; 58, 5.3 and then for the last minute, yee haw, 5.8!

I actually felt pretty good with it.

While running, I read through much of the January 1999 edition of Runner's World and they had an article that talked about the 12 biggest advantages of running on a treadmill. They were (and my notes in blue):

1. Comfort and safety. (I agree. Especially when the climates would keep me from running otherwise.)
2. The best place to work on improved running form. (I've done this before by watching myself in the mirror ... in front of me. No side shots!)
3. Guilt-free TV time. (Not a factor to me because I pretty much don't watch TV at all. I would say that I get to spend time reading.)
4. A smooth transition to running. (This obviously was a benefit for somebody making the transition from walking.)
5. A range of customized workouts. (Doesn't apply to me.)
6. Excellent heart-rate monitoring. (Doesn't apply to me.)
7. Top-notch injury prevention. (At my size, as long as I get a good run in, it saves the wear and tear on the knees pounding against the ground.)
8. Simplified marathon training. (You could say. I've read of a gal from Alaska who qualified for the Olympic Trials from training on a treadmill. I was impressed that Ms. Hager, during her TWRC club meeting presentation, actually remembered that trivial factoid during her speech.)
9. The ability to quantify workouts. (Doesn't apply to me. How long - in time - and hard did I run is what matters.)
10. Musical motivation. (If I can't listen to it on the road, why do it here?)
11. Incredible workout variety. (Some editor should have cut the list to 10 as this is basically the same as No. 5. However, I try to leverage the treadmill to work on pacing.)
12. The Zen of treadmill running. (I would agree that I can relax on a treadmill instead of worrying about cars, dogs, people, the elements, etc.)

So just when you thought you were going to get a boring workout report, I gave you something more. Aren't I an incredible guy? ;)

By the way ... that was a joke.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have to agree with #3. It's sometimes the only time I get to watch TV!

6:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home