Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Building The '08 Schedule

I have this friend who is putting together their '08 schedule and I must say that it is a rather impressive one. And when they complete it, it will have been one helluva of year for them.

I had a number of unique experiences in 2007 even though the running itself wasn't always the best - and I need to get caught up on all of my running statistics. Yikes!

This friend inspired me to start trying to look at mine for the upcoming year.

I certainly want to advance in the number of marathons and half marathons in other states, but I also know that I really need to concentrate on being a better runner too.

Here's what the early sketch looks like:

Saturday, January 5 - Mississippi Blues Half Marathon (Jackson, MS) - State No. 21

Saturday, January 12 - Run The Woodlands 5K (TWRC may have to run this one!)
Sunday, January 13 - Chevron Houston Marathon

Saturday, January 19 - River Road Run 12-Miler (New Braunfels, TX)

Sunday, January 27 - 3M Half Marathon (Austin, TX)

Sunday, February 10 - Mercedes Marathon (Birmingham, AL) - State No. 11

Saturday, February 23 - Park To Park Run 5M (Houston, TX)

Saturday-Sunday, March 1-2 - Texas Indepedence Relay
* This means that the ConocoPhillips Rodeo Run 10K downtown and the Spring Fever 5K in The Woodlands is out!

Saturday, March 8 - Bayou City Classic 10K (Houston, TX)

Saturday, April 5 - Eisenhower Half Marathon (Abilene, KS) - State No. 22
Sunday, April 6 - Go! St. Louis Half Marathon (St. Louis, MO) - State No. 23

Saturday, April 12 - Davy Crockett Bear Chase Half Marathon (Groveton, TX)
* This means that the Blue Bell Fun Run in Brenham, TX is out!

Saturday, September 13 - Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon (Camp Pendleton, CA)

Sunday, November 16 - Rock 'N' Roll Marathon (San Antonio, TX)

States that I don't have to go back to include Texas (of course), Louisiana, Arizona, New York and Arkansas.

Marathons (10) - VA, TX, NY, LA, AR, NM, ID, FL, GA, AZ
Half Marathons (20/1) - TX, AR, OH, IN, IL, LA, IA, NE, AZ, WV, OR, BC, WA, OK, ND, MN, WY, CO, PA, NY, CT

I'll probably tinker with this a lot and, of course, this is all dependent upon my work, Waverly's activities, and so on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dane said...

Looks like a full year. Best of health to you!

10:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home