Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Staying Ahead of Dwyer

After Bill and I had a meeting on Sunday afternoon to discuss one of our 2008 events, I made it back home and then hustled to Bally's to log an hour on the treadmill. It was easy - at 4.4 mph - but felt similar to the pace I would make on the road (even though the mph calculation would be about 14 minutes a mile.)

Monday, I was wiped out from the travel and Tuesday, well, let's just say you drain a lot of energy trying to make sense to someone about the necessity to move on in life. Both evenings, I got more than my needed amount of sleep.

Yesterday evening, I logged another hour on the treadmill at the Marriott Courtyard here in Pasadena and then 30 minutes this morning. The hour last night was done at 4.3 mph with the idea of going two hours, but my Oak Ridge HS cross country T-shirt kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

This morning's run was a progression run with a 0.1 mph pick-me-up every five minutes, finishing at 4.9 mph. I'll run again this evening before getting my car service to LAX to take the red-eye flight home.

I'll make a decision on the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on New Year's Day after Saturday's 21-miler. 247 are registered as of today and 51 are slated to go for the Texas Marathon Triple.

Who do I know that's running? Lots of people. No, not all 247 of them!

+ Ron and Karen Berglund from Kingwood (Karen would have done the Texas Marathon Triple in '06 and Ron in '06 and '07, if it had been in place)
+ The driving force of the 50 States Marathon Club, Steve Boone
+ Paul Cain of Kingwood (He and his wife made numerous trips to Run The Woodlands 5K).
+ Rick Cook of The Woodlands Running Club. (Question is: How much will Rick run off the concrete trails on Tuesday?)
+ Clark Courtright of the Houston Masters Sports Association (He was in Tucson too.)
+ TIR teammate James David Dykas from the metropolis of Friendswood. (His support crew will include one of our drivers, his wife, Jaclyn.)
+ Lewis Grell of Sugar Land (Who wrote a prolific, Jim Rome type of funny Sunmart race report! Talking about another runner that he ran with that was trying to beat the time of his ex-wife. I have that down easy. All I have to do is run.)
+ Troy Grimes of Bryan/College Station.
+ Ken Johnson of Huntsville and the Seven Hills Running Club.
+ Becky Spaulding from Houston and the Bayou City Road Runners.
+ TNT Coach Carol Steele of The Woodlands. (Is she sub-4 ready, Bill?)
+ Gary Van Kuiken of The Woodlands Running Club.

Are there other people that I know of?

+ Surfside Beach Marathon race director Daryl Beatty
+ Long-time running friends of Bill Dwyer, Joe Barry and Victor Bhatt
+ Power in Motion coaches Donna Crocker and Patrick Foley. Both ran Sunmart two weekends ago.
+ Claude Hicks of Fort Worth (is chewing up states on his way to 50!)
+ Chris Higgins of The Woodlands (who hopes to win a Saturn Motors contest that will allow him to rent an RV to make a 3,000-mile running trip across the U.S.)
+ Richard Jares of Santa Fe (who completed the Texas Marathon Triple in '05 and '07)
+ Robert Lott, Jr. of the Clear Lake Fitness Club.
+ San Antonio lawyer Laurence Macon, who, I believe, is trying to run 50 states in a year for the third consecutive year.
+ Houston's Yen Nguyen, who is one of the few people to have run an ultramarathon in every state.
+ Kingwood's Jacqueline O'Brien-Nolen
+ Milwaukee, Wisconsin's Raymond Scharenbrock, who is pushing towards 600 marathons.
+ Fort Bend Fit's Randall Smith.

Even if you're not running this marathon, it is a fun place to hang out and spend part of New Year's Day!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bill D said...

2008 is going to be a fun year.

2:10 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

A man of few words.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home