Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Road Warriors Meet Sunday at Goose's Acre

Yes, they have to do it the old-fashioned way: in person ("to go over logistics for the relay")!

That's what I love about the Battling Bloggers (and, yes, that includes Katy and Adrienne who don't have blogs.) They've got the virtual blog thing going for them.

Nonetheless, I expect us to nail down all of our logistics electronically and then, of course, make it happen on Race Day. They didn't have Mapquest in those days, but we've formed a good cohesive group over the last three years out of cyberspace -- so why start the real meetings now?

The Road Warriors have the luxury of living all in the same general area: Spring and The Woodlands. (There is, of course, the renegade out in the boonies -- Delia in Magnolia.) Don't get me wrong: I like my stomping grounds. But as Jay said in his write-up, I think that our geographical diversity is part of what gives us our moxie! Look at us: Edwin in Lufkin, Katy and Adrienne in Huntsville, Keith in Pasadena, Tommy in Lake Jackson, Holden, Dave and Karen in The Woodlands, yours truly in Spring, Cassie in Houston and even though they have Houston addresses, I put Sarah and Joe in Clear Lake.

We even have our own Deaf Smith. In fact, he has the same initials -- Dave Smart.

See Dave was at the Luke's Locker Beat practice in The Woodlands Tuesday night and got a chance to steal -- err, see -- some signals from their 11 team members. Deaf, I mean Dave, reported: "I saw Bill tonight at the Beat practice, and asked how his TIR team was coming along and he responded with "we're going to kick your butts"."

Well, well, wasn't that how the Texas Revolution got started? Something about "Come and Take It!"? I've even heard that they're bringing a flag with them to Gonzales. Now wouldn't that be like taunting the bull with the red cape?

I'm sure my co-captain can tell us some stories about some of those alphabet divisions, plus I think the Road Warriors forgot to do a little quick research into what our new graduate student addition is studying: psychology. Meaning the attempts won't work! :)

In the meantime, I'll just write off a few more accounts - I'm approaching a quarter of a million in late charges - and wait for the next press release from our esteemed opponents.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I wondered if we would have a face-to-face meeting. I admit that I skim emails far too often, so I don't really know much of what the plan is for next weekend. My two big questions:

1) What will we eat?
2) When will we sleep?

12:00 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

I think I had one order for the pre-arranged meals at Shiner and Borden (and that individual will be done running their legs ... so they'll be able to enjoy them).

As far as sleep goes, I'd try to catnip when you can and admittedly, that'll be tough.

When Jon's van is done with Leg 11, it would probably be good to grab a bite to eat and then, possibly, head to the hotel (just so I can get both rooms checked in.) We won't be back on again until leg 18, which will be at about 8:45 p.m.

At that time, Cassie's van will head to the hotel to rest and shower. They'll be off until a little after 1 a.m.

It is possible that both teams can hit the hotel twice.

Jon

12:34 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

I still challenge anyone to run slower than me.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I know I'm showing that I haven't paid full attention to all your carefully crafted emails, so I apologize for that.

Sounds like a plan. I didn't reply to any of the meals, and I figured we would stop as a van along the way. I'm good with that.

I also had forgotten that we had the two hotel rooms to use for catnaps.

At some point, we will have to give Jose a break from driving, but I'm just assuming everything will work out! :)

8:39 PM  
Blogger doug spence said...

That's why Jon and Bill are making the big bucks for being Team Captains.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home