Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

TIR 2009 Plans Continue To Unfold

Well, call me crazy, but I just reserved a 15-passenger and a 12-passenger van for March 6-8, 2009. Might as well beat the rush now! :)

If we have just one team with 12 runners, our fee per person - if we're not sponsored - will be $66.66 (or $800 total). A second team will cost us $900 as long as we have that team in place prior to October 31. If we have two teams and 24 runners, we'll divide the total cost of $1,700 and it will be $70.83 per.

I'll be working up a team sponsorship or co-sponsorship package. These packages will be for the entry fees only and will not include changing the first team's name, "The Battling Bloggers of the Texas Republic." We'll include the company name(s) in all communications, racing shirts for all team members as well as preparing the plastic car decals that cling to the sides of the vans for maximum exposure over the weekend as well as a team picture and plaque to hang in their place of business. I'm guessing $1,200 per team or a co-sponsorship of $600.

I'm thinking that we'll register the second team as soon as we get to 20 runners - that would be about 20 miles per runner, at a maximum - that submit their entry fee. Or as Dave suggested, we can pull the trigger at 18 runners - 8 on one team and 10 on another. Of course, that money would be refunded if we're sponsored.

Katy suggested, "My only thought about having the second team is, we ought to plan the legs where the two teams are even paced. That way we'd all still be together." I most definitely agree.
Is this crazy or what? In a way, not really. It is kind of like the Chevron Houston Marathon. We know when it is going to be on the calendar. We might as well just plan on doing it. Plus with the economy the way it is, do you see us all dropping the change to go together to an out-of-state relay? I look at it this way: at a minimum, this can always be an annual reunion!

The key to all of this though is that we be fluid - and we always keep in mind who alternates - and drivers - may be out there. I'm predicting that they'll be harder to come by. (And I have it on good sources that one of our drivers is itching to run next year, if their work schedule works out.)

Please, please post any ideas in comments that you have. I want to have some structure in place very soon to give to those that couldn't run with us or want to run with us on a second team.

2 Comments:

Blogger equarles said...

I'm ready. And I only owe a few bucks...

9:19 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Jose made a comment about maybe running next year.

That said, he currently runs about 3 miles once every 6 months. So he'd have a little training to do... ;)

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home