Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, March 06, 2008

Weekend of April 5-6 and more

I know that there's a groundswell of activity for many folks to congregate at Hog's Hunt in Huntsville State Park on Saturday, April 5.

I think I read that original Texian Road Warriors Kim Hager and Andrew Perry were both running it; Kim the 50K and Andrew the 25K.

I believe that I also saw that Tommy Stunz, and his son, Jakeb, were doing the 25K and that Katy Lampson was as well. [And this breaking news from The Woodlands at 11:17 p.m. on Thursday evening, Karen Felicidario is going for the 50K!]

I may have to be the party pooper. I may take Thomas Hill up on his offer to come run the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon in late April. The weather will be a crap shoot for a marathon for sure; however, if I decide to do that, I may go chase a double half weekend on April 5 and 6 with the Eisenhower Half Marathon in Abilene, Kansas on Saturday, April 5 and the Go! St. Louis Half Marathon in Missouri on Sunday, April 6.

It would get me to 23 states in the Half2Run.com (22 states and 1 province) and then Oklahoma City would make a marathon in my 11th state. But I have to find out if they are going to extend me here past the end of March in Pasadena, California.

In other news ...

+ A good friend of mine from West Chester, Pennsylvania, Rob Jones will be attempting his first 50K trail run on Saturday, March 22 at the Bel Monte Endurance Run in Charlottesville, Virginia. He said his wife, Lysa, is planning on doing the 25k. He said, "It will be her first trail run, and she’s not too excited about the course profile which is brutal." He also indicated that he did a 27-mile training run last weekend and is into his taper.

+ Remember to set your clocks forward an hour Sunday morning. (Can you imagine having to deal with that last weekend?)

+ We get our new Seven Hills Running Club dri-fit shirts on Sunday at the club competition against The Woodlands Running Club.

+ From David Wadsworth, president of The Woodlands Running Club: "I heard there may have been some weather problems in Antarctica (imagine that). I am trying to find out if Tony (Allison) was able to finish the marathon there. I will let you know as soon as I hear something."

+ A shout-out to a new friend of mine - and new reader - from Austin, Michele Quintin, 26, who finished her third half marathon in the last month and a half (3M-2:21:14, AT&T-2:22:05 and this past Saturday's ARA Moe's Half Marathon-2:30:22 in San Marcos).

+ Additionally, a number of Bill's Texian Road Warriors have requested access as well. Maybe some of them will even start their own blogs! :) Welcome to the Comries, Alvarezs, Stiles and Scott Mayer so far.

2 Comments:

Blogger doug spence said...

You let Tri Doug in? There goes the neighborhood.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Katy Lampson said...

Are you going to frame your dri-fit shirt too? :)

I didn't go skiing so I'll see you Sunday. Yay!

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home