Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Thursday: Decisions, Decisions

A little bit under the world today; nonetheless I still managed 55 minutes on the stationery bike this evening at Bally's in The Woodlands.

Before I get to the topic above, here's the daily Waverly update:

1. She tried out on Wednesday for her school's Pop Show, which will be held on Friday, May 16th. The choir director has already asked her to sing a solo for that show. It is "Good Morning Baltimore", which I hear is from the movie or musical, "Hairspray". (As you can surmise, I've never seen it.) She's been keeping her selection a secret, and I've not pushed her on it and invaded her space regarding it. However, she told me that she tried out with Taylor Swift's smash debut single, "Tim McGraw".

2. She went to school this morning early for a Student Council meeting. When I dropped her off, I reminded her, "Humble winner; gracious loser". She didn't find out during that pre-school meeting as they were working on posters for Teacher Appreciation Week. Her first class every day is English and it is a block class where they are there for two schedule periods. Every day, announcements are made after the beginning of the second period bell. She said that the second announcement started out as "The Student Council for 2008-2009 will be ..." and then she heard her name, "Waverly Walk, President". She said she didn't hear anybody else's name because her homeroom class was applauding for her.

3. This one I warned her to be careful on - only because of getting too overcommitted. The National Junior Honor Society (NJHS) adviser asked her today also if she would consider being the Yearbook Editor next year. She had originally thought that everybody who was given a section was given the title of editor; however, she learned that it was just one person and that there might be a second individual who has a title of co-editor. I advised her to discuss it with the teacher to say that she would, but that she needed to have a backup if Waverly's grades began to suffer or she got burned out.

After I got home from the office and before I went to the gym, I took Waverly out for dinner. We went to Red Robin up Interstate 45 in Shenandoah and the hostess that greeted us saw Waverly's Twin Creeks volleyball shirt and said that she had gone to school there too.

I couldn't tell how old this young woman was (especially when I don't view myself as 41 either) so I asked her where she went to school at. She said that she was a senior this year at Spring High School. I told her that I was an alum - Class of '84. (I didn't ask her if she had ever heard the alternate school fight song that was developed during our junior year.) She went on to explain that her aunt graduated in my class. I recognized the name, but I wasn't able to put the right face to it. I think I can now though.

I then politely embarrassed Waverly and told the young woman, Brittany (this one was MUCH smarter, by the way), about the red headed princess getting elected Student Council President. She told Waverly that those things would help her in other social standings later on in high school if she continued to be involved. It was kind of cool for Waverly to hear this - and a couple of other things (about getting credit courses done ahead of time) - and I (in hindsight) was pretty impressed with how this young woman treated Waverly with respect.

Alright ... now the topic above. I'd really like to go to Austin on Saturday morning to catch the USA 10K Masters Championship - which starts before the Texas Roundup 10K - to watch Sean Wade, Sabra Harvey and Ino Cantu run, but I don't want to drive six hours from Austin to Oklahoma City and potentially miss being able to register for the marathon the following day.

It will all be a "game day" decision as to what I do. The bottom line is that if I go to Austin that I have to get on the road north no later than 10 a.m. -- as it is a 6-hour drive to Oklahoma City straight up Interstate 35. Anybody want to go with me? LOL

Yes, I've been told I was crazy ever since I did my first back-to-back half marathons in 2005.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katy Lampson said...

Yay!!! Tell Waverly congratulations for me! She is an amazing girl!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I'll second that -- tell Waverly I said congratulations as well!

9:49 AM  
Blogger Tiggs said...

Jon- congrats to Waverly :)

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home