Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Catching Up: Thursday Night

I don't believe I've blogged anything since Saturday. If so, I apologize for the inactivity.

Jackson, Mississippi is going to get the better of me, but we're doing good work there.

I work in healthcare consulting. We're on what is called a cash acceleration project and it is as simple as it sounds: collect as much cash as possible (but we're also doing process redesign.) Hospital business offices simply don't do a good job on following up on accounts and that's how accounts get paid.

A good business office attempts to collect all of the money it is due: 100% of net revenue. Net revenue is the total charges less any contractual allowances or discounts (things that are written off and can NOT be collected from the patient). For this hospital, we've set their goal at 107% of net revenue for the last two trailing months. So for July, you'd try to collect the revenue that you generated in May and June. (Medicare and Medicaid, if billed properly, can get paid in less than 30 days: easy.) In June, the hospital collected $40 million in cash - an all-time record. The goal this month was $38.9 million and if the Blue Cross check got posted today, they'll make it (the money though is in the bank this month already).

But as far as working out, I need a little bit more intestinal fortitude there. :)

Sunday afternoon before I left, I biked for an hour.

Monday thru Wednesday, I did nothing (although I walked to a couple of places Monday and Wednesday night for dinner.)

Tonight, with an on-time flight home from Mississippi, I made it to the gym and posted the following effort:

+ logged an hour on the treadmill
+ added 15 minutes of recovery time on the stationary bike (to keep from stiffening up)

The hour went by like this: 4.3 mph (10 minutes), 4.5 (10 mins), 4.7 (10 mins), 4.9 (10 mins) and 4.5 (20 mins). Felt good. Never felt pushed. (Surprised me a little bit with a three-day layoff.) Perhaps tomorrow I'll get it into the 5's for as much as I can stand it.

I'm targeting towards The Hottest Half on Sunday, August 24 in Dallas. It will be half marathon No. 51 - and I think it will be the same time that the men's Olympic Marathon will be shown live.

Haven't made my plans completely for Labor Day weekend other than the Labor Day Adventure Race in The Woodlands.

The first marathon of the season is now the West Texas Crossroads Marathon in Odessa on Saturday, October 4. Airfare to Midland/Odessa (MAF) is about $175 right now. I may also then fly out to Marathon 2 Marathon two weeks later.

I also paid $40 for the Texas Marathon in Kingwood on New Year's Day before the price went up to ... $45. (That makes San Antonio, Kingwood, Houston and Surfside paid for.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home