Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Rocky Raccoon Race Reports (E-Mails)

A number of us from The Woodlands Running Club and the Seven Hills Running Club supported runners that were participating in this past weekend's Rocky Raccoon 50- and 100-Milers.

I'm posting these not because they mention me, but rather to just give you perspectives from three (3) first time 50-milers -- a place where I was just a year ago.

They are from Misty Graham-Baugh, Robin Kaitschuck and Najat Shayib.

(From Misty)

I too would like to thank you all for coming out and supporting all of us that ran the 50/100 miler this weekend. It was truly an amazing experience, one that I will say I highly recommend to anyone that has not done this before. For me this taught me that you can do anything you put your heart and mind into. Another thing this race taught me is that I am border line lunatic but hey that's ok.

I am blessed to have experience this race with two very courageous, strong women who I know are great friends and always will be. Robin and Najat thank you for the encouragement and friendship, even though we got separated I thought of both of you the whole time. I was so happy to get updates from Bill on how you were doing.

Jon and Russell, seeing you guys at mile 20 at the aid station was amazing. I had been running alone since I was told to get out of the aid station at the 1st turn around. I wanted to cry because I was so happy to see my friends. Kyle and Lauren and family, thank you for coming out and meeting us at mile 28. It was great to see you guys. Sorry I missed the sign at first but it was awesome to see "Asphalt Assault Rules". You guys rock! I was a little delirious at that point and not real sure what all I told you - hopefully nothing to offensive came up or out. Just before six (p.m.), I believe at mile 43-ish, the ball of my left foot was in horrible pain so I asked a really nice man at the aid station to take a look at it,. He cleaned my feet and put duct tape on my blisters, which helped a lot. It still amazes me that anyone would do this other than my husband or my mother - defiantly. I did not expect this of a stranger. At 6:15, it was pitch dark and that is when it really got rough, and I really wanted to quit. I met up with this girl Janeen and she kept me going but she told I was not allowed to complain. This is where I say it went to my head was at dark - trees seemed to move differently. I could not put clear thoughts together and talking did not make alot of sense. All of a sudden out of the pitch dark, I can hear voices saying "That sounds like Misty." So I said, "It is. Who's there?" because I am wondering if I am hallucinating. At mile 47, it was Debbie, Bill, Jon, George and Russell. Bill when you hugged me and told I was done, again I wanted to cry and say take me back.

I, like Robin, had the worst night sleep, after I got back to camp. I almost passed out when I got up to clean me feet, and had to be put to bed stank-ass dirty. I was sweaty cold all night and I woke up Sunday morning wrapped in sheets, blankets and towels. Walking was almost impossible on Sunday, but I took care of some blisters, got lots of rest and I am moving much better than yesterday. In recovery mode for this week, but I can not wait to get out for an easy run soon. You all made it possible for me to finish in some shape or fashion. Thanks for all of you being there through out the race and at the finish, you are all truly great friends and I will cherish you always.

P.S. I remember saying at the finish line that I would never do a 50 M again but now that is has been a day and a half. I will do it again. This time I will try really hard to finish before dark.

(From Robin)

Thank you so much ALL OF YOU for coming out to support us on Saturday. That was quite a race. I learned quite a lot about myself, some of it even good. I was humbled and overwhelmed, and I can't wait to do it again. I'm not sure I can be ready for a hundred in a year, but I want to train for it anyway. To be perfectly honest, trying to sleep after the race was almost as painful as the race itself. Really, I am not exaggerating that one. And the weird sweaty shivering? What was that all about? I have never had a worse night's sleep. I had to pick my right leg up with my hands to move it every time I needed to switch positions, which seemed like about a hundred and thirty-three times, at least. I know Najat and Misty felt the same. I kept opening my eyes hoping it was morning already. I'm thinking it might have been better to just keep walking/running for another 50. Unfortunately, at the rate I went, I would have DNF'd due to time limits. But I have high hopes for the next one.

Lauren and Kyle and the whole family! Thank you for finding us all! And the sign was the coolest. Najat rolled it up and carried it from mile 45.6 to 50. I offered to carry it at one point, but she said it gave her something to sqeeze to block out the pain. You guys rock. I wish I had spent a little more time with you guys, but I think I was starting to feel a little out of it again at that point. About a mile after I left Anne at the park road aid station I thought, "hey wait, I just left and I probably won't see them again. Did I even say goodbye? Did I swear in front of Lauren's children?"

Bill, the flashlight lasted the whole last loop and was way better than my headlamp. Thank you. I still can't believe I brought a tail light for back-up. (Hey, that kind of makes sense, a tail light for "back-up"! Yeah, I'm still not sleeping well.) I tripped a lot but never fell. Unbelievable. Seeing you and Debbie and Russell and George and Jon was really moving. And the fact that you guys anticipated our needs, assumed we'd never quit, and pushed us back on our way when we just wanted to stay and chat shows what amazing friends you are.

Jon Walk, I don't have your email address, so I am banking on someone forwarding this to you. Seeing you standing in the dark on the trail at mile 47 was surreal. I hardly knew you before this race, and yet you walked us in for the last 3 miles, at a good pace I might add. It was almost midnight. I kept asking myself what you were doing out there, and then when you stayed with us I realized you were out there for us. That was really cool. You are really cool. It really started to hit me then that what we were doing was pretty darn amazing, even if it did take a heck of a lot longer than I expected. Sorry about all the crazy hysterical crying at the end. Seriously, I do NOT want to see any pictures of that ugliness.

You all are the most amazing people I have ever met. Thank you.

P.S. Just a few things I learned while running my first 50 miler:

1. Blisters hurt less if you pop them yourself. Unfortunately I learned this almost 24 hours after the run ended.
2. Your friends (and crazy volunteers) will hug you even though you smell like a cross between roadkill, armpit and bad cheese.
3. It is possible to gag on your own stench.
4. A tortilla with a big glob a mayo on it is NOT yummy and also engages the gag reflex.
5. Pretty much everything else IS yummy on the trail, even if you drop it in dirt and lots of other dirty people touch it before you eat it.
6. I can take a lot more advil than I thought.
7. Volunteers who don't know you (and friends who do) will physically push you out of an aid station.
8. Najat can make me laugh so hard I almost wet my pants.
9. I can hold my pee for almost 16.75 miles.
10. My husband and son can locate me on a dark trail by my laugh.
11. Labor, no less painful, took less time and quit hurting when it was over.
12. Nauseated, blistered, and close to tears, I was still envious of the runners attempting 100.

(From Najat)

There's not much more that I can say that has not been said already. You guys truly are the most amazing group of people anyone could ever ask to have in her life. I am blessed and am grateful every day that I have each and every one of you to count on and be there by my side (even though I'm crazy--hehehe).

Lauren and Kyle-- you have no idea how happy I was to see you guys. I had tripped and fallen not two minutes before I saw you guys up that hill. That was the hardest loop for me to do, since most of it I did alone. Seeing you two up there, encouraging me (and Kyle, teling me to run out of the woods to the aide station) was just the boost I needed.

Bill, Debbie, Russell, Jon and George: there are just no words to describe my gratitude for your support and kind words. At a time when I thought that all was lost, there you guys were to cheer us on to the finish. And Jon, especially thank you for kicking me in the ass (verbally) to run in the last bit w/Robin.

You guys are truly amazing, and again I'm grateful every day that I have met you. I couldn't have gotten this far in less than a year without any of you!!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger K said...

It was so great seeing these three ladies out there!

Hopefully we are all able to run this race and many others together again!!

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home