Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

RunBayou.com -- A new site!

While browsing the HARRA web site last night, I noticed that there's a nice new site on the Internet with some very useful marathon training information from a talented Houston running veteran, Jay Hendrickson. The site is http://www.runbayou.com.

(Update, 8/2/2005 -- I got a nice note from Jay about the item below, "It was meant as a joke until I got the links together (the content of the web site is my major concern and the links page was hastily put together.) However, your comment pointed out to me the dangers of folks not getting my meaning. This is my first web site and I'm still learning…. Please feel free to make more comments.")

One page got to me though. It was the links page. Under "Running Stores", it says, "As soon as one of them ponies up with support, I'll list them."

Some of us may be quite a bit slower, but that gives us time to provide the service and save Houston runners a little time, they are as follows:

Finish Line Sports, Finish Strong Sports, Fleet Feet Sports
Luke's Locker, On The Run, RunSport

And, for the record, this site or runner doesn't receive a dime from any of them -- other than the HARRA discount that I'm entitled to (and the stores graciously give) as a HARRA member.

I've got great relationships with the folks at Luke's through their involvement with Run The Woodlands as well as Gabriel Rodriguez, Kevin Landry and Jay Lee at On The Run. I've also had the chance, through Run The Woodlands, to meet a gentleman, Dave Gentry, that is involved with the Fleet Feet Sports store in Klein. I've also seen Raymond Cooper of Finish Strong out at some Striders runs at Terry Hershey Park. All great people!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Shout out to On The Run! They rock.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time Houston Running Community supporter Jerry Fuqua of RunSport has taken it to another level in the last year in his support of HARRA initiatives in general and Power In Motion in particular. Fleet Feet is about to become an official sponsor of the Houston Striders (you read it here first). Luke's Locker took over the Run the Woodlands Series and, along with Koala, are the finest sponsors the 20k has ever had or could ever hope for. On The Run puts on 1st class races. Finish Strong Sports supports Katy Fit. From my perspective Houston's running specialty stores are well integrated into and strongly supportive of the Houston running community.

Steve

8:54 AM  
Blogger Jessica, a Austin Runner AND triathlete said...

I love the Fleet Feet off of Voss and Woodway!! Michael helped me pick out my first pair of running shoes ever. Luke's always has a large selection of everything, if I ever get into doing a Tri I know where to shop first. I also really enjoy the staff at RunSport, and their logo kicks!
-Jessica

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home