Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

7 Hills RC Sweetheart 5K Race Report

7 Hills Running Club Sweetheart 5K, February 26, 2006
Skipper Nethery, J.C. Guzman (with medal), True Cousins, Hans Jaegar, John Cook, Jon Walk, Jan Parks, Marilyn Johnson. Marisa Padilla (kneeling in the front)

In the little over a year that I've been a member of the Seven Hills Running Club in Huntsville, I've only been able to attend two (2) previous club runs. Most of the club events are on the fourth Saturday of the month, which lots of times conflicts with my results responsibilities for Run The Woodlands 5K Series.

The February race, "the Sweetheart 5K", for which I took Waverly along with me, was one that I was able to make last year as well. Ken Johnson's wife, Marilyn, did the 1-mile event while eight (8) of us did the Bowers Stadium 5K course -- which has a couple inclines (none of which are on the Huntsville Half Marathon course in October).

J.C. Guzman, who had done 14 miles earlier that morning, and Marisa Padilla led wire-to-wire to win the event in 24:29 and 25:55, respectively, and I ended up 6th among eight (8) runners with a time of 29:58.37 (officially, 29:57, as I might have overshot the line in stopping my watch).

My splits were as follows:

Mile 1 -- 9:15.10 (which included a long incline that ran along Bowers Stadium to the west side ... in oxygen debt early)
Mile 2 -- 9:46.60 (5:06.79 to turnaround and 4:39.81 back ... thinking about .55 out, slight incline but downhill, and .45 back)
2 to 2.6 -- 6:18.34 -- 10:30 pace (steady incline past the cemetery to the left before heading slightly downhill passing the new baseball park)
2.6 to finish -- 4:38.33 -- 9:16 pace
(Last 1.1 -- 10:56.67 -- 9:56 pace)

Overall -- 29:58.37

I always have a good time whether it be at a club event or running the trails at Huntsville State Park. Some of the folks missing, that I know well, included Rick Cook (who was logging at least 20 in the Park earlier), Chris Wilson, Melissa Broussard, Lindsey Tlustos and Robert Duncan. I felt like I was shuffling my feet the entire time as opposed to actually running pretty solid on Saturday morning. (Maybe it was the hills.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home