Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Friday, June 23, 2006

Go North This Weekend!

Not here to British Columbia, of course! But to either The Woodlands or to Bremond!

If you can go all the way to Bremond (in central Texas - north of Bryan and south of Waco and east of Highway 6), I'd recommend that you take in the famous Polish Pickle Run 5K. Just find the Post Office and that's where the race starts!

There's even a Clydesdale and Athena divisions, but typically Ken Yanowski - the race director - takes the Clydesdale (over 190 lbs.) division. (He has at least the last four years.) My good friend, Melissa Broussard, took the Filly Division on the ladies side last year; however, she'll be unable to have a chance to repeat as she is in Minnesota. My fellow club members from the Seven Hills Running Club regularly make the trip as well as plenty of Houstonians.

If you are pinched for time and gas, there's always Run The Woodlands 5K #156 on Saturday morning at 8 a.m.

If you're there, and you know her of course, give my daughter, Waverly, a hug for me since I won't be able to until I get home next Friday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Waverly's don rtw without you? That's bad that you won't be there with you but AWESOME that she's doing it on her own. She's really into this. Waverly going to do the half this year again?

12:13 PM  
Blogger WalkSports.com said...

She actually might have a friend of hers (well, actually the daughter of somebody I have known through our church for 30 years) who is going to be a freshman at one of the Klein high schools that may be there doing it as well.

I've just encouraged her to go out and do RTW each time to at least maintain where she has been.

As far as the half is concerned, she hasn't committed to it and I'm not putting one ounce of pressure on her to do it. It was a challenge for her last year, but it's completely up to her. Unfortunately, I won't be able to train her as well this year because of the travel to Vancouver.

Jon

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home