Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Monday, August 07, 2006

USATF recognizes Houston's Bill Collins

Collins completes four-year “hat trick” at USA Masters Championships
08-06-2006

Contact: Tom Surber
Media Information Manager
USA Track & Field
317-713-4690

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - All-time masters great Bill Collins completed an amazing four-year period of excellence on the final day of the 2006 USA Masters Outdoor Track & Field Championships at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte. The 2006 USA Masters Championships features more than 1,400 athletes from around the country ranging in age from 30 to 95+.

The world record holder in the men's 55-59 division in the 100m (11.41 seconds) and 200m (23.36), Bill Collins of Houston, Texas, handily won the 400 meters Saturday in 53.05 seconds, and the 100 meters in 11.64.

On Sunday, Collins won the men's 55-59 200 meters in a blistering 23.44 seconds into a -2.5 mps headwind. Collins finished the race nearly two seconds ahead of runner-up Richard Riddle (25.19) of Arlington, Texas.

Although Collins' margin of victory was impressive, he said the race was tougher than it looked. "I have a little twinge in my hamstring," he said. "I was putting too much pressure on my right leg because I twisted my ankle yesterday. I wasn't really concerned, I just wanted to run a good time for the people.

With his 400m victory today, Collins has won the 100m, 200m & 400m hat trick in his age-group at the last four USA Masters Outdoor Championships.

"I know I work hard and never take anything for granted and I respect every athlete," he said. "There's always somebody moving up and training hard and that keeps me motivated."

Collins now owns 84 masters national titles, 17 world masters crowns and has set nearly 20 world records during his masters career.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home