Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Wednesday Morning: 6.5 in Federal Way, WA

Hmmm ... Tuesday was a mini-"meltdown" day; therefore, I made up for it this morning with 6.5 miles (6.502 for you precise folks) on part of the same route that I ran on Monday.

Things were fairly easy yesterday as some shopping was done and then I took Waverly to see the state capitol down the road in Olympia (Washington) and then drove her further south to see a little bit of Portland (and I made a visit to Powell's Bookstore.) I picked up three older running books. (I had grabbed two back in March. These are things that are likely out of print.)

Back to today's run ... the course that I ran was here. Fairly level going out from the hotel west to 21st Ave. SW. The turn north was a slight downhill with the back half including a number of inclines. I took it fairly easy while trying to see if there was any issues in my stride that may be causing a bit of my pain. I get it primarily in my left glute, but a little in my right.

It seems that when I slow down a little and open my stride some that the area that is troublesome tends to minimize quite a bit. When I get into a quicker-paced "marathon shuffle" is where the discomfort is most pronounced, but not enough to stop me from running.

The stats on the run are as follows:

Out -- 2.911 miles / 29:41.36 / 10:12
Up and Back -- 3.591 miles / 38:12.56 / 10:38
Overall -- 6.502 miles / 1:07:53.92 / 10:27

Little slower than Monday's run and I had the weather in my favor this morning -- overcast (typical Pacific NW day), low-to-mid 60's, moderate humidity.

August mileage: 17.538 miles (would like to be between 100 and 150)

I understand that there may be some concern about the ramp-up of miles; however, I feel like my legs can handle it. Plus, if I look at it this way (below with a 10% increase), it really isn't that daunting:

Week of August 6th (Sunday to Saturday): 25
Week of August 13th: 27.5
Week of August 20th: 30.25
Week of August 27th (Sunday to Thursday): 33.25

The challenge, for me, is to actually go out and do it (as planned).

1 Comments:

Blogger TX Runner Mom said...

Jon, I'll have to run your route next time I'm in Federal Way! Our company's headquarters are there, so I get to vist a few times every year.

11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home