Houston Running

One of the leading sources for the discussion of Houston-area (and Texas as well) road racing. Focus and attention will be given to Houston-area runners, specifically HARRA members, that compete in outside-of-the-area events as well as those who do interesting things that aren't captured in the various media outlets, such as Inside Texas Running, Runner Triathlete News and Roberta MacInnis' Running Notebook in the Houston Chronicle (all fine publications and columns but with limitations too).

Name:
Location: Spring, Texas, United States

I'm a mid-to-the back of the pack runner who probably enjoys promoting runners more than I do running myself ... I've completed 21 marathons (with a 4:47:32 PR! in Austin) and 52 half marathons (with a 2:09:58 PR! in Oregon) since November 2003 ... I've done a marathon in 12 states, half marathon in 23 and an event in 30 states and one Canadian province ... I have a 13-year-old daughter, Waverly Nicole, who completed her first half marathon in January 2006, made only two B's each of the last two years, was the only sixth grader to sing a solo (Carrie Underwood's Don't Forget To Remember Me) in their choir program (adding Taylor Swift's Tim McGraw in '08) and scored a 19 on the ACT in December 2007 as a seventh grader ... Waverly and I are members of the following clubs -- the Seven Hills Running Club, HARRA and The Woodlands Running Club ... I'm Marathon Maniac #308 ... I edit HARRA's Footprints in Inside Texas Running and write a column for Runner Triathlete News called, "Talking the Talk" ... I'm also the running columnist for the Courier of Montgomery County ... I'm a three-time winner of TAPPS' Sportswriter of the Year Award as well as TABC's Golden Hoops Award.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Reed beats Karnazes at Boulder Backroads Marathon

The following is an excerpt of a Monday article in the Denver Post about Sunday's Boulder Backroads Marathon --

In another gender bender, this one involving high-profile ultra-runners, Pam Reed edged Dean Karnazes and earned $500 for charity. Karnazes has embarked on a highly publicized quest to run 50 marathons in 50 days in 50 states, with Backroads his eighth outing. Reed was in town to promote her book, so Backroads race director Lesley Kinder put up the charity donation to entice Reed to run.

Reed finished 100th overall in 3:46:42, with Karnazes 14 seconds behind. Reed and Karnazes have been portrayed in some media accounts as rivals, but they were friendly Sunday.

"You were awesome," Reed told Karnazes moments after he finished.

"I tried to chase you down," Karnazes said. "You're a rabbit."

Reed, of Jackson, Wyo., was impressed Karnazes ran so fast in his eighth marathon in eight days.

"I'm amazed," Reed said. "I could do them, I think, but I'd have to go a lot slower."

Karnazes, who lives in San Francisco, would have posted a better time if he hadn't gotten to the starting line late. When he got out of a porta-potty minutes before the start, he was surrounded by fans seeking autographs.

"I walked out of the bathroom and there was, like, 20 people there with books," said Karnazes, who signed several. "I'm surrounded by love."

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Good post. Thanks.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home